Mechanical efficiency of chain drive vs roller drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mifletz, that was a very good test you did. I have been on the fence about which drive to use for my gas/electric. I'll use chain. We get a lot of rain here too.

I've just taken my Robin engine off its roller drive mount and tried it on a chaindrive bicycle, and there's definitely 15-20% more power at the wheel, which makes all the difference going up steep hills. And no slip in the wet. I'm now convinced about having to change to chain.

It's useful to note the applied power you're feeling will also be relative to the respective gearing aspects resultant and present in the the two drives.

My question is: although this chaindrive set up is crude & brutishly Israeli, is there anything markably better or worthwhile available that would deliver better performance or be notably lighter, pending the availability of Staton's axledrive system?

Last edited:
Well I have a Doctorate in common sense and a Masters in hard knocks, a chain drive is the efficient way to deliver power to the wheel.

The chain drive itself is VERY efficient at transferring power from sprocket-to-sprocket. Properly adjusted, greater than 98 percent efficient. However, the gearbox (or belt reduction) efficiency, generally required to reduce the drive sprocket RPM, must also be considered.

My question is: although this chaindrive set up is crude & brutishly Israeli, is there anything markably better or worthwhile available that would deliver better performance or be notably lighter, pending the availability of Staton's axledrive system?
No experience with this system, but I like the way it fits on the bike. Uses a smaller 25CC engine. Bimoto
http://www.bimoto.pl/index.php?s=5&l=en

What size chain does it use? If you swap out the drive sprocket with a freewheel, you could coast with the engine idling... (very little drag with just the chain /driven sprocket turning.)

If you swap out the drive sprocket with a freewheel, you could coast with the engine idling... (very little drag with just the chain /driven sprocket turning.)

Have you a photo of the type of freewheel you mean?

They're thread-on freewheel sprockets. An example of a shimano freewheel sprocket is shown below. They're designed to thread on 1-3/8 inch, 24 TPI hub. Staton makes several freewheel adapters, to allow you to mount a freewheel to a shaft. His adapters can be used on shaft sizes ranging from 1/2 inch through 1 inch. Available sprocket sizes for this thread-size range from 16 teeth, up through 22 teeth, and I believe I remember seeing a few 25 tooth ones. There are also similar, thread-on freewheels with a flange, so you can bolt larger sprockets up tp them.

Here's a link to his 3/4 inch adapter.

There's another, me(ric standard thread-on freewheel, which threads onto 30mm X 1mm thread spacing, which allows smaller sprocket sizes. (as few as 13 teeth)

Attachments

• 50-2083-NCL-TOP.JPG
    50-2083-NCL-TOP.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 1,859
  • freewheel adapter.jpg
    freewheel adapter.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,045
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back