Meet in Portland, IN! July 11-14/07

Discussion in 'Races, Events & Group Rides' started by etheric, Jan 7, 2007.

?

Are you gonna be there?

1. Nah, I'm gonna be a square.

100.0%
  2. I really hope so.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. If I have to drag my bike through tar for 40 days and 40 nights I'll be there!!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. etheric

etheric Guest

This is in some other threads, but to give it some visibility here ya go:
    July 11 - 14th, 2007, Wednesday - Saturday

Vintage Motor Bike Club Annual Meet, Jay County Fair Grounds, Portland, Indiana

*EVENT*: 2007 Vintage Motor Bike Club's Annual Meet. Camping will begin on Monday (July 9th) for the $40 fee for the entire meet. Pre-registering is strongly encouraged. This is one of the biggest motor bike/cycle/scooter meets of the year. One can see almost anything that is a motorized two wheeler. Lots of fun, good food, games, banquet, show, vendors, rides, auction, and huge swap meet.
    More information, as well as pre-registration form and event schedule, will be posted as they become available.

*CONTACT*: Joyce Lee, 537 W. Huntington St., Montpelier, IN 47359.
    Phone: ( 765 ) 728 - 5318. E-Mail: eandme@localnet.com .

I am planning on getting out there, it's about 100 miles from here, so riding is a pretty viable option for me; and I could possibly meet up in Indy and ride out there with some of y'all?
    I know there are a few of you who want to go, or are already planning a cross country trip. So how about we get a collective preliminary response on how big this could be for the ol' MBc. I think this could very well be a good inaugural rally for us, seeing as how it's already set up, there will be lots of people there, and we could just kinda hop on and show up. I think they'd probably be happy with a few representatives from our corner of the motorized bike world, plus we(MBc) may very well get some great exposure and facilitate our own growth and expansion of human resources.
    Plus me and Heath could probably help out with...well...whatever we could help out with in Indianapolis. We both work at a bike shop, so we've got some pretty good resources.

If you need help getting there, or just don't have the resources, please ask for help, who knows what we could come up with.

Any other ideas?

Here's some cross-referencing:
    http://www.motor-bicycles.com/viewtopic.php?t=378
    http://www.motor-bicycles.com/viewtopic.php?t=305

2. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

i voted for dragging myself thru the tar, with a "may need help with resources" qualifier 8)

i'd love to ride all the way there, but i suppose i could/maybe should do an amtrak auto-train to get closer to the action...i have a bit of time to start stuffing the piggy bank :D

3. bird

bird Guest

aww man i realy want to go my sister lives close to there but for me it will probably never happen.

4. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

Hey Hoosiers (and other MBers),

I wrote that e-mail, set up an area in "Traveling" for the Portland folks to give us all the rally details. How about a few more members writing them, invite them join us?

5. etheric

etheric Guest

I just fired off a request for information, and an invitation to post here as well.
    I think if a few more went her way we may be able to find out a bit more. The web looks pretty scarce for info regarding this for some reason.
    It's late now, but I'll get on the phone and give that number a call too.

6. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

Okay, here's my plan:
    I'll be riding my moto to a designated spot (probably Reno) to meet my buddy Brian who is driving his car (as support vehicle, or "rolling toolbox" as he calls it) from Phoenix,AZ and from there heading out. I need to go north from there at some point, to hit Minneapolis where my friend now lives (nice opportunity to visit her, catch a shower, laundry, and coffee...). That's all I've got for mapping my route so far.
    If more people want to join in, it would be great, but it would also be nice to know so we can plan the route to set-up Rendevous points along the way.If Bird could swing it, and wanted to go, I'm sure he and Brian could rendevous, and cruise up to reno.
    I'm riding no matter what, and I am more than happy to have anyone who wants to ride join in.
    Augie, if you wanted and have the time, I'm sure we could work it all out, and as I stated, the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.
    This could really be a great event for this group, and motobikes in general.
    Imagine the looks upon the faces of innocent onlookers as a swarm of bikes sounding like angry hornets goes zipping past!
    *LOL*
    Let's talk more about this if it's something anyone would be interested in...

:D
    Rif

7. bamabikeguy

8. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

Cool!
    I know that Kenny Thomas will be going (from KY.) but he takes his motorhome and transports his machines with that. There's a lot of folks from that way going-
    Quenton Guenther (Outer Banks Whizzer) fron NC will be there (he built the engine for this and is anxious to see how it performs)
    There's a couple of other folks from that way going as well, but i can't think of them at the moment.
    There's folks I met from all over the midwest going, a few folks from california, texas, etc.
    It really is the BIG motobike event.
    It's HUGE, I was like a kid in a candy store at the place!
    But mostly it's a great place to see old frinds who've just met, and socialize.
    ;-)
    Rif

9. bird

bird Guest

it all depends on if i go to mexico the same exact weekend (i think) but i would realy like to go up there to visit my sister and her family since ive never been up there and havnt seen them for a while.

10. Heath

Heath Guest

We (Ethan and I) could definitely help you guys that are riding. actually, i think Indianapolis would be a great place for everyone to meet and ride from there to the event. i have a trailer for my cherokee that i could drag behind it, should anyone break and not be able to do a roadside fix (not to mention i might want to drag something home from the event!). i could probably put a couple of people up at my place (providing my wife says it's cool with her).

11. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Guest

There is a scheduled early bird slow ride for mopeds, Whizzers, Solexs, etc. (1:00 PM Wednesday) Also, a faster ride for Cushmans, Vespas, Customs etc. (1:30 PM Wednesday). A fun ride for everyone is held on Thursday at 4:00 PM. How about a dedicated day, afteroon, or evening ride for our forum? I have participated in several rides over the years (10 year member) and they are fun. Usually one of the Vintage Motorbike Club member's film the beginning of the Thursday fun ride. Some of the rides have over 150 bikes.

It woulld be great to film our own ride filled with just motorized bikes like on this forum. Maybe it could be called the Econo Cruiser Ride, the Tool Time Web Riders Ride, or Motor-Bicycles.Com Ride.

12. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Guest

Opps! I forgot to mention there are motor bike rides on Thrusday and Friday at 10:00 AM.

13. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

I just voted...... "I really hope so." I don't have time for all that tar dragging. I'm thinking amtrack, too. gonna start looking into it. I'm about 100 miles south of kansas city. (my closest amtrack station) sure sounds like fun.
    dave

14. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

Awesome.
    My hopped up engine arrived yesterday and as soon as the snow melts, the temps warm up to a workable degree, and I finish the new plumbing (from all the bursts in the antique pipes), I'll be getting back on that ol' project to ride there.
    BTW- I've been trying to post, but the computer kicks back to the main forum page. This is the first time in a few days I've been able to post. Is it my computer, or...
    I've done some stuff and was wondering if I had messed up something that I needed to do that.
    Maybe not though since this is working...
    Hmmmm...
    Rif :)

15. psuggmog

psuggmog Guest

My computer has been doing the same thing. I tried different brower software and it happened on all of them. I found that if I logout, and the try to post I am sent to the login box. After logging in again here, I could post. If I try to post when already logged in, I just keep getting dumped into the index page.

16. Heath

Heath Guest

so who all is coming to this thing anyway?

17. bamabikeguy

I need a website for this thing....

I'd like to finagle FOX news up to the shindig, Chris Montana has a pilots license, maybe I could bungee cord a bike to his wing, get a head start on a Minnesota run before or after....

18. I wonder if I can get my trike running in time to take it down there. :evil:
    I'm closer than most people at only 114 miles.

I got my work cut out for me :D

19. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

gawd it's coming up fast, and I still haven't finished the bike!
    Hopefully next tuesday it'll be cranked over for the first time, and test run.
    There's just a couple of little things left to do, and then Tuesday the wiring harness, so...
    it looks like I'll be leaving on the 3rd rather than the first which cuts the time a little but if the bike performs like we are hoping, I'll be bustin' days through nights rolling hard, long, and fast.
    Like the song says, "we got a long way to go and a short time to get there... Eastbound and down...!"
    LOL
    this is so gonna rock!!!
    Later guys I gota get back to work on this ol' thing,
    Rif

20. bamabikeguy

I thought you would already be on the road, Rif.

I'm leaning toward being wishy washy until July 4, then in a flurry, jump on Rocinante and be in Tennessee. From there, its " might as well, might as well" and go on up.

Spur of the moment, makes up for fretting.

I sure wish the organizers would get on the forum with info and invites.