Memorial Day Irony

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SimpleSimon, May 26, 2009.

1. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

A friend of mine was riding his motorcycle to visit his adult son, to help him prepare for a Memorial Day BBQ to which all of their family in the area was invited. Rich was 57, a 30 year Army NCO, former senior enlisted man in US Forces/NATO when Westmoreland was in charge there. Combat service in Vietnam, Grenada, Panama, and Kosovo, as well as GW-I. Wounded multiple times, and received several awards for valor.

A deer killed him. A spike buck sprang out in the road in front of him, he hit it, and the deer twisted on impact, impaling him on its antlers. One antler pierced his heart, and he was dead in seconds.

Folks, we never know what the future holds.

2. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

sorry to hear this Simple Simon
    yes -- as we know -- friends and loved ones can be taken away -- so quickly
    prayers sent out for Rich
    his family
    and friends
    from up top the mountain
  3. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Unbelievably tragic and sad, and after having lived through numerous deployments. RIP soldier and condolences to the the family and loved ones.

Last fall, a friend of ours underway on his BMW was struck and killed by a falling tree brought down by gusty winds on an otherwise nice autumn day. What are the odds?

You never know.
  4. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Wow Simon - that is very saddening. My best wishes to their family.
  5. fasteddy

fasteddy Member

Simon--If you would give my best to the family. To have live a life giving to others only to have yours taken away quickly. Indeed tragic.
  6. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

Deepest condolences Simon – If there be any shred of silver lining, at least he was on our soil, enjoying the freedom he fought so hard for and didn’t suffer long…

Choked me up a little to read. Please convey our Sympathies…
  7. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Machiasmort..that about says it all