Memorial Day thoughts from a Vet.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Stan4d, May 28, 2010.

1. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

December 23, 1776
    These are the times that try men's souls; The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from service of his country; but he that stands it NOW, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
    Thomas Paine
    To make this truly fit the upcoming holiday I would like to add:
    Those that gave all for the Ideas of our great nation deserve honor from all and rememberances and celebrations given in their name.

2. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Salute !!!

3. Chris Crew

Chris Crew Member

Here's lifting a pint for the lads (and lassies) what didn't make it back.

4. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

My thoughts are with the thousands of families who mourn their loved ones who died in service of their country.

.....a stanza from my alma Mater....

And when our work is done,
    Our course on earth is run,
    May it be said, 'Well Done;
    Be Thou At Peace.'.....

5. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

From another vet and always the soldier:

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. - General George S. Patton

To those men.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  6. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

Wish I had something more meaningful to say... Great posts Guy's!
    May they never be forgotten.
    Happy Memorial Day.

Oddly enough, I was the only Generation of my family, not to serve. However, my exact name appears on a stone in Hoosick Falls NY. Civil war years and the man under it was 24... It's a family mystery right now, but I hope to find the story out one day...

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  7. augidog

augidog Banned

Freedom isn't free, and with Freedom comes Great Responsibility

during my rainy stay in Sedro-Woolley i've been reading a biography of Andrew Jackson by H.W. Brands...enlightening to say the least, and quite inspiring. a recommended read for any who doubt the value of America's Soldier.

here's a repost of a pic from "My Long-Ride"...the flip-side of the new Veterans' Memorial in Buckley Wa.

Attached Files:

8. crazeehorse

crazeehorse Member

For those that gave all.

Courage is contagious, when a brave man takes a stand, the spines of others are often stiffened. The brave never die, though they sleep in dust, each ones courage nerves a thousand living men, for the patriot's blood is the seed of Freedom's Tree. Your sacrifice will always be remembered & honored.

9. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

I would like to say thanks to all the troops and families (past and present) that sacrifice for our freedom and protection. I stand in awe of their courage and strength.

I would also like to pay my respect to the hero's that didn't make it back. GOD be with them and their families.

10. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

From a another Vet........I did not do much and I did not give much..tomorrow we honor and pay our respects to those that did a lot for us and gave all..they deserve their honored place in the history of our country and will not be forgotten,,I will get out my old brass bugle, step out into my back yard and play Taps for them tomorrow night as I do every year.I just wish I did not play so badly, but it is from my heart..thankyou

11. augidog

augidog Banned

play from the heart...

for this day belongs to our Fallen.

my Love & Gratitude to those who mourn their absence most deeply.

12. Nuttsy

Nuttsy Member

Thanks to all the service people living and dead that gave me the freedom to ride in their honor today.
    "...and keep this day unto them".
    Nutz

Attached Files:

13. Zev0

Zev0 Member

I stand and salute my brothers in arms. Both those fallen and still standing. May God bless all.

It is the
    VETERAN,
    not the preacher,
    who has given us freedom of religion.

It is
    the VETERAN,
    not the reporter,
    who has given us freedom of the press.

It is
    the VETERAN,
    not the poet,
    who has given us freedom of speech.

It is
    the VETERAN,
    not the campus organizer,
    who has given us freedom to assemble.

It is
    the VETERAN,
    not the lawyer,
    who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is
    the VETERAN,
    not the politician,
    Who has given us the right to vote.

It is the
    VETERAN who
    salutes the Flag.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  14. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

This morning I arose and Mourned your passing.
    I looked to the flags at half staff.
    At noon I looked and the flags were raised.
    I celebrated you as if you were there....one extra dog, burger, rib...even steak was on the grill for you.
    I set the place at my table for you.
    You were not able to come. I knew that....you knew that. But it was there......
    In your honor and to your credit, a stranger was fed. An outcast was made welcome....the hopeless was given hope.
    I pray that the action will be acceptable for a warrior who gave me the freedom to do it.

15. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Zevo and Stan4d...your posts made for some good reading for me today

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010