Mexico

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by davidsis, Jun 21, 2008.

1. davidsis

davidsis Guest

I am going on a vacation to mexico June 23 till July 3rd. I wonder if there is any way I can take my motorized bicycle on the plane somehow?

2. crabdance

crabdance Member

don't know, but it sure would be cool to putt around Mexico on your bike and see what it's like. I never thought of that but that would be a great vacation idea. Have motor bike vacations where people can go to places and ride their bikes around and have a great time. That's one vacation I would sure sign up for. That would be cool :cool:

can you imagine getting a bunch of people together and having a vacation on some island somewhere and riding bikes around? Nice!

3. There would be gas issues with taking it on the plane. The only way you can do that is if the engine has never been used at all but it's gonna cost you. Then if you did succeed in taking it it's gonna get gone for Mexico don't have things we take for granted like honest cops and things like ambulances. In the United states and other first world countries people will generally look at your bike and smile. In countries like Mexico,people will look at your bike and there would be NOTHING stopping them from just taking your ride if you happen to spot a trail and find yourself miles from where you once were.
    I say find like a scooter or motorcycle rental place. Overall it would be cheaper than taking your beloved bike with you.

4. alex

alex Guest

You could put your engine in a box and put it in a suitcase with you on the plane and buy a cheap bike for a couple of pesos to install it to if you were really desperate to have a motorized bike. Or you could ride your bike to Mexico.

5. You can take your engine kit there but you won't be able to take it back unless you get ALL the gas and oil smells away. So with that,do like Alex suggested and enjoy your stay and on the last day give it to someone that could really use it like a dad out there with children that uses a bicycle to work but is getting up in age. The cost in sending it back you can buy another engine kit practically.
    That would be a life experience worth documenting and you'll ALWAYS have a friend in Mexico.
    This is something I would definitely do if given the opportunity.
    One day I want to visit my cousins I never met in the Philippines. That would most definitely be a plan.

6. eljefino

eljefino Member

Fly into san diego. Ride across the border, LOL.

Even bringing a pedal bicycle is an $80 oversize fee (probably more now) and you have to buy a special box that the knuckledraggers out back will play trampoline with.

Agree with above, rent a moped. Always friendly to grease the locals, they will give you hints, advice, and directions you may not have thought about.

7. Scottm

Scottm Guest

Last time I went to Mexico was on a guided dove hunting trip. The second day, the federales stopped us , said our guns were theirs. The guide told us to keep oour mouths shut. Boy it hurt to watch my Remington 1100 and several thousand bucks worth of other guns ride off.

Sorry to be negative, but I'm never going back and wouldn't trust them as far as I could spit. Don't take your bike if plan on not comming back with it.

8. az cra-z

az cra-z Guest

Don't try riding across the border here (Nogales AZ/MEX, south of Tucson). The streets are narrow and the sidewalks are 1-4 FEET above street level!

9. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

With all the drug murders going on near the border and the mex cops right in the middle of it you have more cajones than I do. Hasta La Vista!

10. BoltsMissing

BoltsMissing Active Member

Wow, this thread is like watching one of those old black and white cowboys and indians type movies, ya don't know who's side anyone is on !
    I reckon the tour guide had this all set up ? !