MICARGI DIY Almost done

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by danlandberg, Apr 30, 2010.

1. danlandberg

danlandberg Member

This has been a big headache for a ''DIY'' kit! Too many add ons and it is not quite done!

Attached Files:

2. maltese guy

maltese guy Guest

Thats just the begining buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!prepare yourself for theeting problems next.!...... but.......the beasts are a lot of FUN....!!!!1

3. danlandberg

danlandberg Member

I agree thry are fun to build! But my tools are 300mi away! This is my third build.The first one is in the stolen bike forum ''Stole in Vegas'' My 2nd was for a friend.

Attached Files:

4. Apachekid

Apachekid Member

Yeah, Danlan... you look like you're almost done..I was thinking about getting that exact DIY kit, the M50 bike. Ive built 2 others from bikes I had been riding, just ordered the engine. Doesnt look like you got a lot of room to work on that M50. Im interested to see how that expansion chamber fits in there! If itll clear the pedal and chain stay. That down tube really looks big! At least 1 3/4" right? Your chain runs pretty steep angle...must be a 36T sprocket, Hope that all works out for you. Hope you post some pix when your done! Cheers, Apache:cool:

5. danlandberg

danlandberg Member

I have checked Bike Berry and it looks like they don't have the M50 listed. I have the M50 and had to change a few things to get the engine to fit. ( billet intake, large front mount, slant head). With the billet intake I had to cut off the clutch riser bar and use a roller set up (from Al Fisherman) I used the straight & shorter intake so the throttle cable would clear the top tube & air filter would clear the seat post tube. It's a 44 tooth sprocket. After chain stretch I will take another link or two out. I have the SBP chamber on now, it clears using the stock mufler header pipe. These are pics from last week. I will post up dated pics in a day or two.

Attached Files:

6. danlandberg

danlandberg Member

MICARGI pics

SBP chamber, angle head, speed carb, billet intake & large front mount. :thinking: Just need to trade grip shifters for thumb style, add a head lamp & rear rack/fender.

Attached Files:

7. danlandberg

danlandberg Member

For some reason I can only post 2 pics at a time :ack2: The front mount is the 1 7/8-2'' one

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  8. Apachekid

Apachekid Member

Nice job, Dan!...with not much room to work.I like the bike. With the slant head and X chamber that bike is going to haul a-- That SBP pipe really fits in there nice with the silencer on it...did you have much trouble with it or did you have everything you need in kit? ( Im looking at that SBP pipe, getting tired of my noisy Xchamber w/o silencer) Chain looks like a good angle, like mine. I keep mine real tight. you do any porting on that engine? just wondering...Nice bike! :cool: Cheers,Apache

9. danlandberg

danlandberg Member

I have had it it to 30 MPH on the flat & over 32 on a slight down hill. (would go faster, but did not want to -YET-) It gave me allot more power for a dead stop ( no peddling ) take offs & Will accelerate on up hills! I could not fit the pipe with all the parts it came with. I used the copper tube, silicone hose, and a 3/4 copper coupler i got at a plumbing supply store (1.49) 1 spring & 4 hose clamps. I cut the mufler off a stock pipe added coupler, straight tube to get the angle and length to get it to fit. Have not done any porting on this one (I have 2 so I will do some porting on the other one. Then swap them) Remember to change rear mount studs grade 8.8, if your going to use the M50 bike. Stock will brake!!! :veryangry:

Attached Files:

10. danlandberg

danlandberg Member

Change as many (if not all) studs to grade 8 or better!!! Or this will happen. And why were the intake & ex. studs shouldered on one engine and all thread on the other???:thinking: This is pics of broken studs, wrong studs and X chamber trial fitting.:idea:

Attached Files:

11. Apachekid

Apachekid Member

Now thats a good question. Mine are all thread all the way around. I gotta get around to replacing all bolts to grade 8. just lucky I havent snapped any yet. Now I see how you did your exhaust..Nice tips

12. danlandberg

danlandberg Member

You might be able to use what comes with the SBP chamber, depending on what bike you use!:thinking: The power increase is worth the work!!! :eek:

13. Apachekid

Apachekid Member

Yeah I love the power off an Xchamb, but its still pretty loud for my neighborhood. Plus as you can see in pix of my bike, I dont have a silencer-just a small muffler I stuck onto the stinger..still get that 2 stroke popping pretty loud..I dont mind, but you can definetly hear me coming--and the bike looks kind of "souped up". I mean you cant miss the pipe - even a cop on his cell phone can see that pipe. thats why I like your setup, with the pipe hiding down under the bike with the silencer. You dont lose any power and you can pass by cops better......just wondering, where did you get that billeted intake? and if you had any clearance problems with carb? ( I guess thats a BB DIY kit that you got) plus seems like you had to do a lot of mods....what carb do they send with the kit?.....probably doesnt have fuel shutoff valve..I guess thats enough questions. thanks dan........

Attached Files:

14. danlandberg

danlandberg Member

I got the intake from PIRATE CYCLES. The kit comes with the same carb as the 48cc engines. I have the ''SPEED'' carb for the 66/80cc engine. The clearance problem was with the clutch adjustment riser bar. (had to cut it off) and go with the roller set up from Al Fisherman. I like the looks of your Xchamber. :tt1: :cool2: But it looks like you don't have a header pipe. (The pipe between ex.port & cone section :thinking: witch helps in tuning (longer/shorter) for the power bad you want/need. The Xchamber looks bigger than the SBP chamber! The SBP chamber is louder than stock, but no probs with the police (YET). If I get stopped, it will probable be for speeding! :whistling:

15. ncaos

ncaos Member

the exhaust pipe is super good ..

16. Apachekid

Apachekid Member

Hey Dan..Ive just ordered billet intake and better front eng mount. My air filter clears the seat tube by like 1/4" now, and the tube does angle fwd. the new intake will make the carb sit lower..I hope its shorter! see what Im thinking? I got my roller set up right now:cool:..Heres pix of before I drilled another hole in bracket..........Just wondering, was your cable long enough to reach clutch arm (from cable stop)? Did you have to strip back cable housing to get more cable? I dont know if pix are going thru.....

17. Apachekid

Apachekid Member

Pix before I drilled another hole.....

Attached Files:

18. danlandberg

danlandberg Member

Billet intake & clutch roller

Will; Your going to need to remove the stock clutch cable bar and make a plug out of it or cut it off as low as you can. The billet intake is shorter and puts the carb in and down. You will get away with drilling a new mount at center of the angle iron. That will square the pull (cable to clutch arm). Smear some grease on the O ring before mounting the carb so you don't tear up the O ring! To get more usable cable, measure how much cable housing you want to cut off & wrap that spot with masking tape. Now measure from the end of the inner cable (braided) to you mark on the housing. At the clutch lever pull the housing away from the lever that distance + 1" and cut the housing at your mark. Now push housing back, feeding inner cable through. If the cable is not fraid you will be OK! Good Luck........Dan :jester:

19. Apachekid

Apachekid Member

Clutch cable tip by danlan!!

Great ideas:idea:danlan!
    Im going to do it exactly that way when I get new cable I ordered, SBP had one for 3.29.. Ill probably need a bit more usable cable....Thats a teflon coated cable from SBP, (tired of my frayed a.. too short, biting, bent POS cable)....... Check, on cutting down cable stop and I'll grease that intake to. I hope I have enough room, thats a slim air filter on there already.........one more question: (just like Columbo)
    You get more compression in that slant head? not exactly sure how, if you do..I just got back from a run, 36.7mph...The clutch lever pulls likenothing...Amazing difference! 80% better than stock. I recommend that mod to everyone reading this. Just contact Al.Fisherman. Cheers, Apache:jester:

20. danlandberg

danlandberg Member

Not sure how much compression difference, But there is a difference! The first slant head I bought, I also got a head gasket. The new head gasket was thicker, and the bike ran the same as stock. So I used the stock gasket (thinner) and it made all the difference. When cold, if you were not going fast enough and weighed enough it would skid the tire making you have to peddle also to get it started! What I've read is the angle plug is the performance factor. ???(don't know why)??? Spark is still in the combustion chamber! I put one on this build for clearance reasons. I was going to use one anyway because of how it made my RAW engine run!!!