Micargi vs Schwinn

eisle89

Local time
11:24 PM
I'm trying to decide on my next build. What is everyones opinion
about the quality and strength of these two frames ?. TIA

well besides the frames
seems to be some discussion going around regarding faulty wheels on new bicycles
spokes coming loose on brand new wheels -- time and time again ??

do you have pictures of those bikes ??

MM

No pictures, I haven't bought anything yet. I was wondering which of the frames were better suited for the added stress of absorbing the shock of motored speeds. Open for everyone's opinion ....

Well, I'd guess you're probably trying to make a sound decision, spending wisely and would like to see if one brand had an edge over the other.
Frankly speaking you get what you pay for. You're on the right track asking about added stress, etc.

Are you looking at cruiser frames? Everyone has an opinion and you might find some who like one brand over the other. I've heard not good things about the Micargis. I probably wouldn't buy either, though Schwinn does have some higher bikes that are not too bad but more in the mountain/comfort style.

I'm of the opinion that one is better off using the same money that one of these new bikes costs and using it to buy a better used bike.

Thanks for your input Happy Valley. That's what I'm doing alright, checking around to see if anyone had any bad experiences with either as far as the frame cracking on them. i have an extra engine kit I'll put on a cruiser so I'm looking for a bike now. Finished my stretch some months ago and I've had no problem with the frame http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p136/eisle89/Motored Bicycle/. Thanks again for your opinion but here in the Third World all the used bikes go to Mexico so the pickings are slim.

Hey nice work, nice touch with the wood fenders. Did you do the fabbing and welding on that? If so I'll speak frankly. You know what we're talking about. Do I assume correctly the stretch is steel?

Thank you, I did all the metal work except some of the machining. Not my fenders, got them from http://www.woodysfenders.com/store/ Cody is great at this stuff. The stretch is steel. With the longer wheelbase and the sprung frontend it's able to absorb more road shock than a regular cruiser. That's why I was looking for some input on a sturdy cruiser bike. Thanks again for your time.

Right and the reason I ask is because you are not going to find the cheaper aluminum frames (some would say any aluminum frames) to have anywhere near the same durability as steel.

Personally, I would steer clear of the Micargi. A quick search will bring up a bunch of cracked frames and bad welds. You probably don't want to hear this but the Schwinn cruisers are not much better but after looking at the work you did on that stretch I think you are just not going to be pleased with what you find.

The imported bikes from Asia break down into those from Taiwan and mainland China. There are three bike factories in Taiwan and they produce better frames, under many different badges more towards the mid to low-high price range of many so-called American companies. The stuff from mainland China, like Micargi, are made to a price point and most definitely are inferior.

Looks like you are just about ready and able to be making up your own proprietary frames anyway. Good luck.

BTW, I didn't look if you had posted pics of the stretch in the photo gallery yet but it certainly deserves to be there, nice work.

Last edited:
Hey, I appreciate all of this help. I'm not quite sure why we're both up at this hour but .... LOL. Aren't the Huffy's and the Murray's made here still ?? A better steel frame maybe or have you heard anything ?? TIA

You're the one still up lol, it's my morning here.

No friend, those are most definitely made in mainland China. That's why I say older bikes, particularly for someone like yourself who is capable of stripping and reworking a frame.

Steel is real and unfortunately one will have to move up quite a bit in price to find quality with new.

Last edited:
Back