Micargi vs Schwinn

Discussion in 'Performance Mods' started by eisle89, May 24, 2009.

1. eisle89

eisle89 Member

I'm trying to decide on my next build. What is everyones opinion
    about the quality and strength of these two frames ?. TIA

2. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

well besides the frames
    seems to be some discussion going around regarding faulty wheels on new bicycles
    spokes coming loose on brand new wheels -- time and time again ??

do you have pictures of those bikes ??

3. eisle89

eisle89 Member

No pictures, I haven't bought anything yet. I was wondering which of the frames were better suited for the added stress of absorbing the shock of motored speeds. Open for everyone's opinion ....
  4. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Well, I'd guess you're probably trying to make a sound decision, spending wisely and would like to see if one brand had an edge over the other.
    Frankly speaking you get what you pay for. You're on the right track asking about added stress, etc.

Are you looking at cruiser frames? Everyone has an opinion and you might find some who like one brand over the other. I've heard not good things about the Micargis. I probably wouldn't buy either, though Schwinn does have some higher bikes that are not too bad but more in the mountain/comfort style.

I'm of the opinion that one is better off using the same money that one of these new bikes costs and using it to buy a better used bike.
  5. eisle89

eisle89 Member

Thanks for your input Happy Valley. That's what I'm doing alright, checking around to see if anyone had any bad experiences with either as far as the frame cracking on them. i have an extra engine kit I'll put on a cruiser so I'm looking for a bike now. Finished my stretch some months ago and I've had no problem with the frame http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p136/eisle89/Motored Bicycle/. Thanks again for your opinion but here in the Third World all the used bikes go to Mexico so the pickings are slim.
  6. Happy Valley

Hey nice work, nice touch with the wood fenders. Did you do the fabbing and welding on that? If so I'll speak frankly. You know what we're talking about. Do I assume correctly the stretch is steel?
  7. eisle89

eisle89 Member

Thank you, I did all the metal work except some of the machining. Not my fenders, got them from http://www.woodysfenders.com/store/ Cody is great at this stuff. The stretch is steel. With the longer wheelbase and the sprung frontend it's able to absorb more road shock than a regular cruiser. That's why I was looking for some input on a sturdy cruiser bike. Thanks again for your time.
  8. Happy Valley

Right and the reason I ask is because you are not going to find the cheaper aluminum frames (some would say any aluminum frames) to have anywhere near the same durability as steel.

Personally, I would steer clear of the Micargi. A quick search will bring up a bunch of cracked frames and bad welds. You probably don't want to hear this but the Schwinn cruisers are not much better but after looking at the work you did on that stretch I think you are just not going to be pleased with what you find.

The imported bikes from Asia break down into those from Taiwan and mainland China. There are three bike factories in Taiwan and they produce better frames, under many different badges more towards the mid to low-high price range of many so-called American companies. The stuff from mainland China, like Micargi, are made to a price point and most definitely are inferior.

Looks like you are just about ready and able to be making up your own proprietary frames anyway. Good luck.

BTW, I didn't look if you had posted pics of the stretch in the photo gallery yet but it certainly deserves to be there, nice work.
    Last edited: May 28, 2009
  9. eisle89

eisle89 Member

Hey, I appreciate all of this help. I'm not quite sure why we're both up at this hour but .... LOL. Aren't the Huffy's and the Murray's made here still ?? A better steel frame maybe or have you heard anything ?? TIA
  10. Happy Valley

You're the one still up lol, it's my morning here.

No friend, those are most definitely made in mainland China. That's why I say older bikes, particularly for someone like yourself who is capable of stripping and reworking a frame.

Steel is real and unfortunately one will have to move up quite a bit in price to find quality with new.
    Last edited: May 28, 2009
  11. eisle89

eisle89 Member

Oh, from the avatar I figured Northwest U.S.. OK, thanks .... **** I'll just build a **** frame then. I figure if I can't get an old frame from somewhere in the desert, its probably been 20 or 30 years anyway since they were made here, then it will probably have all sorts of rust inside the tubes. Thanks again, I'm going to sleep !!
  12. Happy Valley

Nope, the northeast which is a lot worse for rust than the desert, lol.
    A good idea though to treat the interior of steel frames with a rust inhibitor.

One last comment....I've got a GT road bike in my shop right now that cost $1200 new. Beautiful machine, weighs 20 lbs. Cracked frame at the seat tube top at the binder lug. 7000 series aluminum.....just about impossible to fix with a weld without having to heat treat the whole darn frame again.

BTW, GT sold to Questor who owns Schwinn and they will not honor the lifetime warranty on the frame. :veryangry:
  13. zelaznoge

zelaznoge New Member

I took a look at the streached cruiser you built & was wondering if you are interested in manufacturing/selling the motor mounts for that type of bike. I am considering building one myself. thanks
  14. spad4me

spad4me Member

Just my 2 cents.
    The affordable quality bicycle is a thing of the past.
    I have has troubles with just about every brand of newer bicycles.
    Including wheels.
    Locally, used bicycles shot up from 5 to 10 dollars, to 125 to 175 dollars, for the POPULAR types.
    Same old Stuff, Shocking new price.

Except for one brand.
    A decades old Schwinn womens bike made in America.
    Of real quality steel , with old but well made wheels.
    There is literally hundreds of em here.
    No body wants em except me.
    My wheel problems are gone. I do use a coaster brake rear wheel with cantilever brakes as well.

No recumbent that I have made with Old Schwinn steel has broken.
    I tried the new popular ones .
    Don't hit a bump lol.
    I even rewelded the frame to make a diamond MENS style bike,for the happytime LOL
  15. toddjlyons

toddjlyons Member

I've built a 50 year old Schwinn and a new one. I've got a Micargi coming tomorrow, we'll see. I'm sure hardware exchange is in the future like usual! TJ
  16. toddjlyons

toddjlyons Member

OK, the Falcon showed up yesterday and I slapped it together. Better hardware than the Schwinn but it seems just a tad under quality noticing the painted over dents, etc. I believe it will make a good motored project so check back with me in a couple weeks! TJ
  17. (Ian)

(Ian) Member

How did it go? :p My Micargi doesn't look that bad. Some weird welding but it seems stable enough.
  18. toddjlyons

toddjlyons Member

Hi Ian,
    To tell you the truth I haven't worked on the M. for a while. What I did find was the tank had too mant internal welding pinholes to be used as a fuel tank. I have mounted the tank on the rear fender just behind the seat and it lookes good! TJ
  19. (Ian)

(Ian) Member

I'm actually finding it very difficult to mount my tank (that's what I'm working on now) because the tube's too tall, screws won't reach it. It's also wide enough to be annoying...made some brackets to fit it but there's not enough room to bolt the nuts on it.:icon_cry: This is my first built btw