Mickey Mouse fix

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by Large Filipino, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Just wanted to throw this out. When I was building my bike,I needed something to brake my rather large chain so I can adjust it right. The tree dollar Wal Mart bicycle chain breaker was just too small,so I took my trusty drill bit and MADE it work.
    It still cuts the smaller chains too.
    The other two pics are what's now my handlebar arrangement. I got those twist grip gear changers so I put both of them on the left along with my clutch. I hate how that one on the end that cable is sticking out,but when I flipped it,it got in the way of the clutch.
    On the right I have the throttle,of course,then both brakes. The rear brake is on top and the front brake just below. When I squeeze them,the back brake engages first before the front one. No thinking involved here. It just stops straight.
    When I had my front brake on the left I found I wasn't using it at all. That's what led to all this.

Attached Files:

2. wayde

wayde Guest

I have the brake levers that have the shifters attached (rapid fire) and they are huge and bulky so i think i'm gonna replace the brake levers and eliminate the shifters if i'm correct i can use the adjustment screws on the derailers to hold the bicycle chain in place, it's not like I pedal enough for shifting to matter.

could you possibly eliminate the front derailer then the cable wouldn't stick out the left side

3. You know,that's a pretty great idea. I could just remove the entire assembly then keep the middle gear on the chain where I always have it. Moving the front changes gearing so drastically anyway.
    Thanks Wayde!

4. wayde

wayde Guest

no prob i am in the process of eliminating both derailers it should be pretty easy

5. cutting the chain down then it's no sweat,but I'm gonna keep my rear for sure cause I have no adjustments on my rear wheel.

6. wayde

wayde Guest

i think i'm gonna pick a setting and shorten the chain...a lot i love the fact it'll clear up the handle bars

7. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Thanks for running this thread. I have my throttle mounted out on an extension on my bars, and have been annoyed with letting go of the throttle to shift gears, and braking has not been entirely satisfactory. The ideas you guys put forward here will solve both. Thanks for being here.

8. salfter

salfter New Member

I made that chain breaker work by holding the chain in with a pair of channel-locks held in one hand while carefully twisting the pin in with the other hand. It might not work so well for regular bike chains now (some of the metal guides got bent out of position), but they're cheap enough that you can buy another for those if needed.

9. Yes. Channel locks. That would have fixed so much aggravation!

Today I had my bike on my bike rack attatched to my blazer. I wasn't paying any attention and somewhere along the way I lost my spark plug boot and wire. I was thinking "OH NOES! I need a new coil something!"
    I went to the local auto parts place and got a single coil wire. I cut it in half and wouldn't you know,both ends work. Funny though how it just screws in there via screw in that hole.
    Now I know how to do a tune up when the time is right! Just unscrew the wire to change it and the spark plug.

10. I really should start a thread in the gallery but it's not fully ready yet. It still needs some added touches.
    Speaking of added touches,here's another piece of advice. If you think it will work,then by golly go find out!
    I found this old school Stewart Warner mechanical speedometer laying around! It looks cool!
    It maxes out at 60 mph (not 6 mph like I thought and it would have ruled huge) and has an odometer.
    I bet it came off a really cool bike!

Attached Files:

11. This little bit of tinkering started life as a camera holder but then it became so much more. My rear rack is about obsolete now. As you can see,it's a strong clamp from Lowells,one of those double links that keeps a chain from twisting(two chain links with a swivel) some hardware and washers,and two zip ties to keep things in place. Check out what this thing's been doing for me. Not only has it been keeping my camera at bay so I can make movies(camera's a bit messed up right now,though. Batteries not staying in place),I can just quick clamp my Blockbuster movies instead of strapping it on to my rear rack,worried that it may fall off (that movie was for my daughter. I'm not kidding. No. Seriously) and when you flip that clamp upside down it now becomes a strong hook to hold bags or even my one gallon gas tank.
    I just came from the gas station and let me tell you it holds good and strong. Then it's right in front of you so you're not always looking to see that your stuff is still there.
    Total cost about 7 bucks. Clamp's like $2.50.

Attached Files:

12. So I went on a 50 mile bike ride yesterday and I'm noticing my engine's vibrating a whole lot. Then I find that my rear motor mount bracket is missing! (The area is also very oily. I'm guessing it's waste oil from the engine? I mean it's LOADED with oil.)
    So I went to Home Depot and got 4 6mm nuts,4 lock washers and this clamp. I didn't use the u bolt but the bracket fits this bad boy perfectly. Two nuts and two lock washers in back,then bracket the a lock washer and nut at top.
    Now no more vibrations!
    Back to this oil. Where does this oil come out of the engine? I'm assuming it's all normal.

Attached Files:

13. gauge

gauge Guest

i also had the same thing happen if u have one of the bolts out oil will come out

14. azbill

azbill Active Member

been there, done that 2 or 3 times now
    oil everywhere every time
    I try to be more diligent in my bolt checking now

15. Wait. Oil comes out of the engine if one of the bolts are off? My bolts never came off. My nuts did.
    Yes. I said it.
    My nuts came off.
    ..but isn't it normal for when the two stroke oil in the gas is done it needs a way of escape?

16. mickey

mickey Guest

It should be burning with the petrol rather than building up somewhere. Can you determine the actual route of egress? I see that its all over the back but is there oil above the intake manifold or elsewhere. Is it definitely premix oil or might it be liquified grease from the gearing?

17. Maybe it's liquefied grease from gearing...I don't know for sure. Today I'm gonna completely clean my bike out and re lube my chain and ride it for a mile and see how it looks.
    I do use quite a bit of pre mix. 6 oz of Maxima to a gallon. I really need to go with 5 oz now.

18. It was the chain lube. I use it willingly and it just pools there.
    Anyway I got a screaming deal on this thailer. 25 bucks!
    Look at how much this thing is new
    http://www.webmountainbike.com/koolstoptrai.html
    Check out how it mounts up. It's a tight squeeze but it doesn't interfere with anything. And I went to the store and bought home two cases of water and some canned goods. It can handle a lot more. It's rated at 100 pounds.
    I just made my bike so versatile now. There's no stopping me!

Attached Files:

19. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Good score.

20. I wonder if down the road I become a grandfather and I take grandchild for a ride. I wonder if I would need to Mickey Mouse the exhaust? Or maybe it would help in making the child mellow! :evil: