Micro drill bits

zippinaround

Local time
7:50 AM
Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I explored this several times, almost always easier to get a large range of jets and use those. All the proper sets are somewhat costly and finding one that covers all the sizes in small enough increments is difficult. I pursued it and gave up after a time and used a cheap harbor freight (none of those in ireland) set to get general undersizes, then I go through my collection of pins/needles and find a diameter that I want, I rough up the first centimeter or so with a diamond bit, and carefully enlarge the hole with a round diamond bit then the pin to finish it.

It seems like a bit of work but I'm lazy and I found that to be the easiest alternative.

I explored this several times, almost always easier to get a large range of jets and use those. All the proper sets are somewhat costly and finding one that covers all the sizes in small enough increments is difficult. I pursued it and gave up after a time and used a cheap harbor freight (none of those in ireland) set to get general undersizes, then I go through my collection of pins/needles and find a diameter that I want, I rough up the first centimeter or so with a diamond bit, and carefully enlarge the hole with a round diamond bit then the pin to finish it.

It seems like a bit of work but I'm lazy and I found that to be the easiest alternative.
Hmmmm not sure I fully understand what you're saying and have read it about ten times haha surely the set of 20 will get the jetting close enough? Or if not could ream/mill it with those bits . Another thing since I've never jetted anything do you use the same needle just with bigger jet or do you need to replace the needle too?

Same needle usually, sometimes with better grade carbs you can get replacement needles that have different tapers. Most people here don't even know why you'd want to change it, mostly because it's fairly irrelevant on these smaller engines.

Reaming is another working idea, actually you can drill oversized, then fill with soft lead solder, and drill almost big enough, get a needle in the right diameter (use a caliper) and ream it. Use the oversized bit to clean up both sides of the hole gently.

Lots of options. I like making my own jets simply because it's easy, and you can use the same handful of jets to cover every single possible size jet, even half sizes. Pins and needles are so commonly found and virtually disposable as they are so cheap. Using them to ream soft solder is nice, it doesn't destroy the needle easily, and you can tape it to a sheet of paper and mark it with the size it creates, for later usage.

check out amazon to see if they have what you're looking for

Back