Microcar museum

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Sockmonkey, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey Guest

Found this "moped" while cruising the MCM...

moped-truck.jpg

Humm, could I???

2. Could you what? I say that would replace the minivan. Get stakes around the bed and the kiddies would fit right up in there.
    You would win parent of the year.

3. they showed the p50 on top gear a couple nights ago - that thing is really cool and fit a 6"5' man inside.

4. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey Guest

5. They are probably hard to come by and expensive these days, but if someone could come up with a kit or something to make these out of styrene/plastic and run them off of a 50cc 2 or 4 stroke I would be all over it.

6. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

Oh yes! - I was delighted by that Top Gear video :grin: I would love to own a P50; - it would be sooooooo nice to use to get about in the wet Winters we have around here. I love riding my electric Hercules tricycle, but getting soaked in a downpour is not my idea of fun :(

7. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

Three wheeled delivery van.

This is a little 3 wheeler I've always had a soft spot for .....

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/268/raleighlightdeliveryvanml5.jpg

I've got a trike up on my workbench at the moment (Yes I do have a BIG workbench, - it saves my back and knees) and I'm toying with the notion of putting a lightweight van type body on it. A Raleigh replica would be easy to do and what's more it would be completely practical.

8. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey Guest

Is that delivery van motor powered?

Here is the one I'm in love with...

trike2.jpg

It's a 1955 Inter 175 A Berline with a 175cc single cylinder scooter motor...

trike1.jpg

I might have to build one of these...

9. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey Guest

10. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

The Raleigh van was based around their utility type 'V' twin motorcycle intended for sidecar haulage, - so yes it does have a motor. :grin:

I like the Peel P50, but not the Trident. The Trident would bake you to death on a sunny day under that bubble dome. I was interested to hear it said at the end of the Top Gear programme that they thought the P50 was the best car they'd ever road tested. :shock::grin:

That Berline would be a honey of a project. I guess a one off bodyshell could be made from fibreglass over a foam core. Some of the velocar streamliner websites have very good 'how tos' on building a bodyshell.

11. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey Guest

With the square sides it would be easy to build one up out of DOW blue-foam and then wrap it in a coat of glass cloth and resin. Only problem is the thinest I have seen it is 1" thick.

As for the Berline I was thinking of a tube frame with the same foam filling in the body shape... I've built RC planes for years and as far as the body goes, this is a very doable project. Heck, with scooter power in the rear the only big challenges are the front axle/steering and glass for the windows...

If I did this it would be just a step above a cycle, ie no heater etc.

12. I did see a recumbent bike with fairing on the sides and a pretty decent front windshield that supposedly blocked all rain as long as you are going over 10mph. with a rack mount engine, fairing and a front windshield who cares if you don't have a heater?