mig welder

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by dirtwarrior, Dec 1, 2014.

1. dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior Member

I know nothing about welding but I want to get a mig welder. Must run on 110v not 220v. I can get one from Harbor Freight which is a 90 amp (likely to be inflated) or maybe a good used one off craigslist.
    There are many things to consider welding amps, gas or no gas etc.
    I am going to do simple repairs at home and some fab work. What should I look for in a mig. Any pitfalls buying a used one?

2. fattirejack

fattirejack Member

I would recommend getting one with gas capability's. I would not recommend buying a used HF or other china built welder, If they are working good not to many people would sell a 100 dollar welder. I would get a name brand MILLER, LINCOLN, HOBART.. If you can afford it. Dual voltage 120/240 vlts is a great option if you might have 240 available in the future. I use a TWECO 3 in 1 Fabricator that is dual voltage .It has MIG, TIG, and STICK capability's. Mig is a great welder to learn with, flux core wire has a lot of splatter and your welds won't look very good. Gas is the way to go.

3. butre

butre Well-Known Member

If you plan on mostly working on bikes I would suggest learning to braze rather than learning to weld. to weld on the thin tubing used on bike frames you need a pretty decent welder and/or a whole lot of hours of practice. brazing is miles easier when you're talking thin tubing.

dirtwarrior likes this.
  4. keatonx

keatonx Member

^true that. If you go with brazing, and arent going to do anything too huge, I'd buy one of those cheap ($70-100) bernzomatic oxy/mapp torches which you can get at hardware stores. That's what I had before I got my welder and it had no problem doing frames, sprockets etc. the only downside is the oxygen bottle doesn't last long and costs $10 each, but if you're not using it all the time it isn't that big a deal (one oxy bottle lasts around 5 jobs)

5. Chainreaction

Chainreaction New Member

With a little practice you can weld bicycle type tubing with a mig welder, it's not the best way to do it but it can be done and its cheap. You can use flux core but it splatters a lot, they make a spray that you can spray surrounding area with so splatter doesn't stick. With mig welding I found it helpful on some joints to preheat them with a propane torch, the handheld kind. My mig welder is a Harbor Freight that someone gave to me, the big difference between it and a good one is duty cycle, that is how much welding you can do before you have to let it cool off. The cheapo HF ones have a low duty cycle meaning you spend a lot of time waiting for it to cool down.

6. dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior Member

I ordered one from Eastwood . com
    it is a 135 amp with a tank hook up
    I hope it is good

7. Chainreaction

Chainreaction New Member

The next thing I am putting together is a propane (barbecue tank size) and oxygen (home oxygen concentrator) brazing setup. The home oxygen concentrator can be found used $2-400. Then no strong arm tactics from the welding supply over gasses, cheap to operate too.

8. dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior Member

How would the concentrator be set up?

9. Chainreaction

Chainreaction New Member

From what I have researched you just hook up the concentrator hose to the torch, if not enough pressure I'll put some sort of inline pressure booster, I don't think it'll require more than 2-3 psi. From what I understand a regular oxygen/acetylene torch will work, with a slightly modified tip. I bought a regulator for the propane tank already.