Millennial Research Motor Patent

safe

Local time
5:26 AM
Millennial Research Motor Patent

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=5m7QAAAAEBAJ&dq=Millennial+Research

attachment.php

Since the weather outside is frightful...

Managed to find this patent on a somewhat dormant thread on ES.

If I understand the picture correctly they seem to be using "interlaced" magnets and coils. This is an interesting idea because you could use standard north and south magnets in the middle of the multilayered design and then just add some steel or Halbach on the ends.

Question:

Doesn't this more efficiently use magnets?

...given the choice of Halbach Array or this multilayered idea wouldn't this get more out of whatever quantity of magnets you bought?

The advantage of this design is the backside of the magnets are being used for the next coil over, so there is a reuse of the magnetic fields rather than having to do a quick u-turn. From the standpoint of magnetic flux and field lines things should be very good with high levels of flux all the way across and fields lines that only have to bend once on the ends.

Thoughts?

------------------------------

On my own Halbach Array project I am introducing silicon steel (magnetic) material into the center of the flux region, but this way would be better because you could sustain the field strength over as long a distance as you desired. You could add as many extra layers as you wanted.

Magnet (N-S) - Coil - Magnet (N-S) - Coil - Magnet (N-S) - Coil -... and on and on...

They clearly say:

"a stator comprising a plurality of wire coils each surrounding a non-magnetizable core;"

...so this is a coreless motor. (much like a "standard Halbach" design) which means you will not have much in the way of cogging.

This design is ideal for small 1/4" Neodymium magnets which are cheap in volume.

"The multi-phase electric motor of claim 14, wherein the stator comprises six coils and the rotor comprises eight permanent magnets."

...this is kind of odd, six coils should require seven magnets.

M1, C1, M2, C2, M3, C3, M4, C4, M5, C5, M6, C6, M7

Hmmmmm...

Attachments

• Millennial Research 001.jpg
    Millennial Research 001.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 703
Last edited:
I did a quick FEMM simulation of the idea...

attachment.php

Looks pretty good. You can achieve 1 Tesla field strength and have more than one coil.

Attachments

• Millennial Research 002.jpg
    Millennial Research 002.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 603
Back