Mirrors

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by bryant, Oct 16, 2009.

1. bryant

bryant Member

I searched the site here but didn't find anything specifically on mirrors. So here goes. After trying several mirrors bought from wally world and kmart and target etc.I found that all the mirrors I mounted on my handle bars had so much vibration that I spent to much time trying to interpet what was behind me than what was in front. I was just not satisfied with all that shaking etc. There are eyeglass mirrors and helmet mirrors and some good mirrors can be bought at bike shops. I found a nice mirror called "Take A Look" which to me is new but may be well known to some of you. It is really a great mirror and mounts on your eyeglasses or on your helmet. I did a general google search and ended up going to amazon.com where I have bought several items at a good price. They sell new or used if they have used. Everything actually comes from a vendor but is bought through amazon which I assume you get a better price. Seems to me you do anyway. I paid total 16.00 and change for the mirror which includes shipping. It was shipped from Nigara Cycle, Inc. It is really well build and I am really happy with it. Other glasses or helmet mirrors are probably ok but I read about this one and it was rated as one of the best. Anyway it works for me.

2. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

3. bryant

bryant Member

I did consider those end of the handle bar mirrors but figured they would probable vibrate like the ones that are also mounted on the bar with a clamp and is out on a rod thing. Do you have any trouble just glancing at the bar end mirror and getting whats behind you? I had so much vibration with the clamp on type on a rod thing that I had to really gaze at it to get the picture of what was behind me. You said you had two of them. I could see putting one on the left side but wouldn't the throttle cause a problem on the other side? I would put one of these on my bike if I thought I could see behind me ok with it amd still use my clip on the glasses mirror. I really like my clip on. I have it adjusted to where I don'tneed to turn my head any but just shift my gaze to see behind me.

4. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

I love these mirrors. They don't vibrate at all. Because they're convex, each one gives me more than 90 degrees of vision behind me. I can actually see both side of a 4 lane road behind me. The key is to get them mounted far enough apart so they don't reflect the side of you body. I have mine adjusted so I don't have to move my head from side to side. All I have to do is move my eyes. As far as throttle, I have a trigger throttle set up, not twist grip. My hand grips have removable end plugs, so no problem there. One mirror is better than none, but two are even better Safety first. You can't put a price on a human life. At least not in my religous beliefs !!!

5. bryant

bryant Member

Ok porkchop, I understand the setup now. I think my twist grip may have a removable end on it. Will need to check, but the left hand grip can definitely be removed if necessary for a mirror mounting. I agree with you on safety and I think that more is better when it comes to seeing whats coming up behind you. I am going to buy the same mirror you are using and will let you know how it works out for me. Thanks for the info. Tom

6. retgi

retgi Member

7. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

Depending on what kind of grips you have, you can take an E-Xacto knife, drill or whatever tools/sources you have and carve out the ends so you can insert mirrors that are to be mounted in your handle bar ends. Goopd luck. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  8. bryant

bryant Member

Ok on the titan motor retgi. Thats a 4 cycle motor I assume over the rear wheel. I never thought about it but I guess it probably does run smother. But you do know what I mean on the frame mounted 48cc. The whole darn bike shakes like a major earthquake.

Porkchop, I bought the Mirrycle mirror you recommended. I guess it should be here by the end of next week. I already took off the shiney thing on the left grip and its going to mount into the end of the bar ok.

9. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

Good for you ! I'll be surprised if you don't like it for any reason. By the way, those mirrors come with 2 adaptors for 2 different diameters on handlebars, so you shouldn't have a problem with mounting. Again, I'm well plesaed with mine. You get them set where you want them and they'll stay there until you bump them on something and knock them out of whack ! Did you look at any opther mirrors on amazon ? There are bunches. I wasn't trying to sell you on the one that I have. I was just implying it works very well for me. Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  10. bryant

bryant Member

Yes I did look at other mirrors but I would rather go with a proven one than experiment. I have already bought 3 different handlebar type mounting mirrors from wally world, target and kmart and they all did the st. vidas dance when I was riding. The longer the stem on these mirrors the more they dance. I can see where the short solid coupled mirror on the solid mount at the end of the handle bar should be much more stable. However even there I would expect some jiggle . The glasses mounted mirror is great but I like the idea of the wide viewing angle that your mirror has. Others are probably ok but I will go with the mirrycle. If it works well for you then I think it will work well for me. I'll let you know.

11. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

I gather you have a frame mount engine. I have a friction kit. I don't know if that will make a difference or not with the vibration issue.

12. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

For what it's worth, here's a couple of photos of my bike with those mirrors mounted.

Attached Files:

• me.jpg
      me.jpg
      File size:
      112.6 KB
      Views:
    • sc7.jpg
      sc7.jpg
      File size:
      144.9 KB
      Views:
  13. bryant

bryant Member

Thats a really neat bike. I don't think it will make a difference but wait and see. How do you like the friction drive? I have considered one. Where did you get the kit.

14. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

I have been well pleased with my friction drive set up. I got it from bikemotorparts.com. I have only about 250 mmiles on it so far. But it's very smooth and easy to operate. Centrifugal clutch is very nice. A very simple system that works as it should.

15. bryant

bryant Member

Hey Porkchop, I got the Mirricle Mirror and mounted it on my bike. You were 100% right on this one. It is perfect for whats behind me and it vibrates very little. Vibration is not a problem. I really like it and after several of the other kind I will never use anything but the bar end mounted mirror. The glasses mounted mirror is ok and I will keep it around in case I damage the end bar mirror. Replacement parts are avaliable for the Mirricle so it will not be a problem if I damage it. Thanks for your input and help. Tom

16. Porkchop

Porkchop Member

Tom, you're wellcome. Glad I could help. I don't think I have any vibration at all in my mirrors. They may bounce with the bike when I go over a bump or rough terrain, but they pretty much have an overall solid mount, no vibration to the bike it's self. Like I said, I'm well pleased with mine. Glad you find them nice as well. Again, glad to help ! and I still recommend those mirrors on both ends of the handle bars. I guess you noticed what I said about one mirror gives you more than 90 vission on what's behind you. By the way, if you do encounter vibration problems in the future, check all the screws and make sure they're snug.

17. loquin

loquin Active Member

The convex surface also helps a lot, as it tends to reduce the effect of the vibration - the mirror can bounce around quite a bit, but, since the curved surface still returns an image of what's behind you, it doesn't appear to be as bouncy. If the mirror surface were flat, it would be almost as 'bouncy' as the clamp-on mirrors.

18. bryant

bryant Member

Ok Lou, thanks for the input. The mirror certainly does not vibrate as much. That explanation sounds good to me. One other thing that I observed that may or may not contribute to the more steady state of the mirror is something I discovered while riding yesterday. I noticed that if I took my hand off the hand grip on the mirror side of the handle bar the mirror seemed to vibrate more. Returning my hand to the grip would bring it back to almost no vibration. I am guessing that my hand is dampening the vibrations to the mirror. This may all be just my imagination but it seemed to be the case for me. Maybe others could check this out. Tom