Missing Clutch Ball Bearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in to process of upgrading to my bike with a SBP shift kit. As I finished assembling it, I discovered that my clutch actuator lever arm had no (zero) resistance. I could move the arm freely as I found that it wasn't touching the pin at all. I searched and found the exploded diagram of the clutch and learned of the small ball bearing that the pin pushes. I had been careful not loose the pin but didn't realize that it was holding in a tiny ball bearing.

It is long gone and all I have to show for it now is an incredibly clean garage floor.
Where in the world do I find a replacement for that? :confused:
For the want of a nail...:bigcry:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would figure that it is the same diameter as the pin you still have.

I would figure that it is the same diameter as the pin you still have.
I would think the same thing. I'm in the process of building an engine now. Let me know if you need for me to take mine out and measure it. I'm sure you can get one at Lowe's, hHome Depot or you might want to go to a motoprcycle shop and get a better quality one, or a nut and bolt house if you have one close by. I think one from Lowe's or Home Depot would be just fine.

I hate to see someone in need of help so I went downstairs to the garage and did this just for you. The bearing and the push pin both measure .31" or 7.95mm in diameter. The tube they go in measures .34" or 8.8mm in diameter. I think you'll be fine if you get a bearing a couple of thousands smaller, but not bigger. Also, like I said previously, i'm rebuilding a brand new motor now, so I put a lot of greas on the pin and in the tube it goes. Those bearings are easy to loose, but it was a pain in the patooty a while ago to get it out. The grease holds it in. place.

Thats It!

Thanks for the info Porkchop. I have a guy down at Grainger that is on a mission to find one that will work. Thanks also to Fector56 that's exactly what I need but I am hopping to find it locally to save a myself few days of waiting around to ride. I will definitely save that site to my favorites for future use.

You're welcome. I think you ought to be able to find a bearing at many different locations. Im going to Lowe's after while. If I think about it, Ill look out of curiosity to see what they have.

Harder To Find Than I Thought

Well I went by Lowe's. They don't carry single ball bearing "balls". Had a Grainger location nearby...they don't carry them either. I also called Bearing Headquarters in St. Louis but the lady that I spoke with said that she couldn't help me because only carried them in fractions of an inch ¼, ½ etc.
It wasn't till I hung up that I found a conversion table that said that 5/16 is .3125 and that should work fine.:D
I would have thought that she should have known that. :whistle: Oh well.

DUH !!!
Glad you found one. I forgot to look at Lowe's. Guess I had other things on my mind ! Sometimes people sre just to lazy and play dumb because they don't want to put forth an effort. I'm not one of those. I figured anyone that could build a motorized bike could do that, and figured I'd let you do the conversion and decide which size you wanted. Also, a bike shop might be a good place to look for one. I know my local shops have loose bearings in many different sizes. I didn't think to mention that option last night. The bearings from a bottom bracket might work. I don't know.

Last edited:
An easy conversion for 5/16 is to divide the 5 by the 16.
Do it on a calculator. It equals 0.3125.
5th. grade math.
Sometimes I will go through all the different fractions looking for the right decimal size untill I find the size I need.
It takes a while.
I should go buy a conversion chart.......... would be much faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back