Model "F" , no spark

jimichrome

Local time
6:52 PM
Hello,
I have a 1943 model "F" Whizzer that used to run reliably, now I can't get a spark to save me. I carefully checked wiring, points breaking with proper timing, condensor seems good, flywheel magnet seems strong. I bench checked coil using an ohmmeter. Resistance on the secondary coil winding hi-tension term. to ground = 4k ohms. The primary coil measures zero ohms. Is that right? Shouldn't I measure at least 2-4 ohms?
I get no pulse whatsoever from hi tension lead.

I'm toying with the idea of finding and trying some small engine coil that has a 1/2" x 1/2" square hole in middle so it will slip onto the old laminated stator. Has anyone had success substituting a coil? Thank you.

Update on my Model "F" Whizzer: I now have proper spark and a running Whizzer thanks to Whizzer Works Inc. of Carroll, Ohio. Mike sent me two used magnetos which were for later than "F" model but the coils are removeable and interchangeable. After repairing a high tension lead, I was able to pedal start my bike to the delight of my audience, most of whom never heard of a "Whizzer".
Before receiving coils to work with, I visited local shops looking for a substitute. Several B+S. Techumsa, Homelite etc. brands look right, but the middle square hole is too small by 1/32". It needs to be 1/2" x 1/2" . Of course if I filed + milled to force fit, I don't know if it would work out.
PS: Can the build date of my bike be determined via its serial #?

Back