model H rebuild

Discussion in 'Whizzer Motorized Bicycles' started by 48 RDMSTR, Jun 10, 2012.

1. 48 RDMSTR

48 RDMSTR New Member

Hey Im rebuilding my model H whizzer motor and I cannot get the flywheel off.
    any suggestions?

Thanks Jim

2. BigBoy80

BigBoy80 New Member

are the old flywheels reverse threads?
  3. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

I would get a copy of Whizzer service facts, memory lane has them.
  4. BlueWhizzer

BlueWhizzer Member

Jim, I have never removed a whizzer flywheel but, going by the whizzer manuals photos. It looks like they are loosing the fastening bolt/screw a few turns and then place a flat blade screw driver behind the flywheel to apply removal pressure and then tap the fastening screw with a hammer to free the flywheel. Be careful not to damage the case while prying from the back and DO NOT use a flywheel or pulley puller to remove the flywheel because you could easily break the flange of the pulley casting that is on front of the flywheel.
  5. Quenton Guenther

Quenton Guenther Motored Bikes Sponsor

Hi Jim,

The threads are reversed!

Loosen the flywheel bolt a few turns.

Use a piece of wood [ 2" X 2"] from the oposite side of the motor, just locate the wood against the flywheel on the front side of the motor. Simply tap the wood and the flywheel will "pop" loose.

If you need pictures, just ask.

Have fun,
  6. 48 RDMSTR

48 RDMSTR New Member

Thanks for the info very helpful
  7. 48 RDMSTR

48 RDMSTR New Member

Thanks for the information that will be alot of help, I just have one more question. When try to turn the flywheel bolt I end up turning the motor over. I dont want to mar the flywheel with a vice grip, is there a way to temporarely "lock up" the motor?
  8. Quenton Guenther

Wedge a piece of wood between the outer edge of the flywheel and the bottom of the crankcase [where the drain plug and serial number].

If you are sure it has a standard crankshaft you can use an impact wrench to break the bolt loose, however never use on a Whizzer needle bearing crankshaft as it can "twist".
    Have fun,
  9. 48 RDMSTR

48 RDMSTR New Member

Thanks for all the information Quenton. Worked perfectly! Now I just need to clean her up and put her back together
  10. 48 RDMSTR

48 RDMSTR New Member

I Have done some research on whizzer history and the history of the Cleavland Welding Co. I have come to the conclusion that my Roadmaster frame made by Cleavland Welding Co. is a rare bike. What I learned is that Whizzer comissioned the CWC to make a frame for some of there first complete motorbikes, rather than just a kit you mount on your bike. after 2 or 3 yrs of production the Schwinn bicycle company sued the CWC because they were copying the frame Schwinn made. Whizzer then began producing the complete motorbikes such as the pacemaker, sportsman, and the ambassador. I would like to know first if the information I relayed is correct and second if my bike is as rare as I think it is.

JimT likes this.
  11. Quenton Guenther

Hi Jim,

Might have a few facts slightly off. Rumors have CWC building the first 1948 Pacemakers for Whizzer, however others claim Whizzer actually built the first Pacemakers in house. Schwinn sued Whizzer over the frame design [cantalever]and won, the final outcome was Schwinn built all the future Whizzer frames.

There were several special bikes made by other companies for the Whizzer motor including the CWC 226, Schwinn WZ, S4, S10, and "specials", even Huffy [Huffman] made a HD bike for the Whizzer [very, very rare]. The majority of the bikes made for the Whizzer motor kit were painted Whizzer maroon and cream. Not long ago I sold Jay Cruise in PA an original 1948 Schwinn WZ/S4 with the maroon & cream paint [badly faded], The Schwinn WZ & S4 being the most common, then the Roadmaster 226, and the Huffman bikes less common.
    I currently have a 1948 Roadmaster with a Whizzer "H" kit, however it isn't the valuable 226 version with the maroon paint. If I find time I plan on selling the rebuilt "H" motor and put a 1948 series "J" motor in its place to make it a "more" correct motorbike.
    Hope this information helps.

Have fun,
  12. 48 RDMSTR

48 RDMSTR New Member

Amazing! Thanks for all the help, it seems you know all there is to know about these motorbikes! Im so happy you could help me straighten this out. With what I have gathered and from what you have told me I am certain I have a Roadmaster 226, I am very very excited to have it rippin and roarin down the road. You currently have my model H motor and are applying quite a few performance upgrades, and although I dont have a model J motor I am very pleased to learn that the bike is indeed fairly rare. I keep getting better and better news on my whizzer! Just last week you had Informed me that I had a later more valueable german made crankshaft in the Model H. I cant wait to get the motor back and mounted on my Roadmaster 226! I will definately upload some pictures when I do.

Thanks again for everything, James
  13. WZ507

WZ507 Member

Roadmaster 226-WH

48 RDMSTR,

To assure you have a Roadmaster Model 226-WH you should verify the following.

The absolute deal breaker is that it has to have belt reliefs formed into the upper and lower left rear fork legs to provide extra clearance for the belt (the legs are heavily indented like a Schwinn WZ-507). If it does not have these reliefs, it is not a 226-WH. Additionally it would have wide semi-circular handlebars, a New Departure WD front brake, the Shockmaster style springer front fork, "swept" fender braces, headlight and rear carrier. Hope you have it all. Let us know.

Roadmaster 226-WH.jpg
  14. 48 RDMSTR

48 RDMSTR New Member

I am Happy to say my Roadmaster does have all of the features mentioned above. Its a true 226WH; it is completely original except I learned the Model J may be a more correct engine, mine is a Model H. I also have a stewart-warner whizzer speedo and a seiss light and horn combo that mount on the handle bars. I have purchused a repo High oil breather, if anyone knows where i could find an original from a 300 series or up it would be greatly appreciated. I will post pictures soon

15. Quenton Guenther

Hi 48RDMSTR,

Pictures of your modified head. I milled it .060" and reshaped the chamber. I made it as close to a Weber as possible, however the Weber combustion chamber is very shallow and had to leave a little extra in the original head to keep compression up.

Have fun,

Attached Files:

16. 48 RDMSTR

48 RDMSTR New Member

Awesome! Cant wait to see the final product! You do amazing work and I know that you are backed up with lots of work in the shop. I really appreciate everything you have done for me Quenton, thank you so much. after all the mods are done what do you think the top speed will be? very excited thanks for keeping me posted

48 RDMSTR
  17. Quenton Guenther

Hi 48 RDMSTR,

Have decided to make a custom copper head gasket for your motor as the original is .030" and the custom will be .010" thick. This will help increase the compression ratio lost in the combustion chamber.

The average "H" motor will average 35 MPH [some faster motors may make it to 37 MPH].

By increasing the bore, increasing the compression ratio, porting intake & exhaust, and a larger intake valve should at least exceed 42 MPH and may exceed 45 MPH.

We [Jay Cruise & Myself] are currently working with a company to reproduce the famous "Weber" camshaft and hope to have them available within a few months. Of course your motor will be completed prior to obtaining the modified camshafts, however you can easily install the camshaft at a later date for additional power.

Have fun,
  18. 48 RDMSTR

48 RDMSTR New Member

Im not sure what the thickness was but I sent a copper headgasket with the motor when I shipped it to you. also I sent a repo tall oil breather. would you happen to have any origanal tall oil breathers from the 300 and up motors?
  19. 48 RDMSTR

48 RDMSTR New Member

I sent with the motor an original copper headgasket. I also sent a repo tall oil breather, I was wondering if you would happen to have an original tall oil breather from the 300 and up series motors. I dont want to have any repo parts on the bike but I am going to be running 8 oz of oil. I have kept the oil breather that came with the motor aswell
  20. Quenton Guenther

Hi 48 RDMSTR,

Sorry I don't have any extra tall breathers, however I can polish the repo you have to appear closer to original. The head gasket you sent is .030" thick and will be replaced with the thinner custom version to raise the compression ratio.

I will be working on aligning the crankshaft later today. I have a special vintage lightweight piston I hope to fit into your cylinder, many refer to the piston as a "racing" piston. It is very rare and looks more like a modern day Chevy piston.

Have fun,