Modified Chinese motors?

Ambitious idea to think about upgrading quality of HTs.

What brought you to this conclusion that there might be a market in it?

I actually think that the HT has heeps going for it, except questionable quality. The market potential is huge for a good quality lightweight motor that mirrors the function of the HT so that it can be fitted to a commuter bicycles. I'd be interested to find out if anyone is doing it.

In some cases it's things that should have been fixed from the start, and we are going to pressure Don into fixing before we make our next order sometime in the Fall or so. There's another, more recent discovery that needs to be changed, the clutch plate. It's pressed together but that's all that's holding it and we've already had one come apart on us (luckily it was a demo motor we were testing) and several were fairly loose out of the box. We've started tack welding them together and everything seems to be happier that way.

As for the upgraded bolts, we happen to be lucky, there is a Fastenal store behind us in the office complex where we are. They may not be the cheapest in the world but still. We've got upgraded bolts/studs for every spot on the motor. So far we've only replaced them on a few in-house motors and they look GOOD actually. They're allen head as phillips and flat can wear out, phillips especially. they're also the highest grade we could get. The factory grade is metric 4.8, the new ones are 10.9 or 12.9 depending on the size. Yes, we are still using 6mm head studs but in our experience if they pull out, it is the head side that gives problems, not the bottom end. That tells us the block itself is stronger than the stud and higher grade components should be the answer. Besides, if we had to drill and tap larger holes the price would probably more than double simply because of all the labor involved.

I'm going to be listing some "upgraded" models on ebay soon and see how well they do. The price will be higher obviously but there will be other thing done to it as well that we feel should have been "standard". We're considering several "models". We'll still offer the motor as is with no changes done to it for those that want to shop on price alone. We'll offer the modified version for those that want a better kit right from the start. And we're considering a DIY version, where we send you a bolt kit with the motor kit and you change them out yourself. I know there is already a place you can get your own bolt kits so people seem to be OK with this option.

We're working on getting other upgraded parts as well, such as different air filters, larger carbs, velocity stacks, boost bottles, etc. We should know more about these options in about two weeks or so.

Joel

it whoud be nice to see someone address the connecting rod berrings , upper & lower , also a balanced flywheel/lower end, & consistant port placement!! larger carbs & boost bottles may add to a shorter engine life unless someone address these issues first! one can only hope that the manufactures will pay attention , but so far all our suggestions & pleas have fallen on deaf ears! i so love the looks of my happytimes! lets hope the motoredbike gods shine down upon us someday & add precision to the chinese language!

wavy - I think that's what the Manic Mechanic is all about. He's basically making a whole new engine.

mmm, quality components and a balanced engine so no more vibrating engine mounts and sheared bolts....

these are nice motors but really flawed in quality :(

mmm, quality components and a balanced engine so no more vibrating engine mounts and sheared bolts....

It's about the humble single cylinder internal combustion engine when technolgy came about in the 1900's of it's inception and now we are in 2009, surely anything less in today's engineering knowhow/standards is an insult !

It's about the humble single cylinder internal combustion engine when technolgy came about in the 1900's of it's inception and now we are in 2009, surely anything less in today's engineering knowhow/standards is an insult !
We need to be thinking Direct Injection. That's the direction that the EPA wants the industry to head.

There is a niche for an emission compliant, very light weight, fuel efficient, dedicated bicycle engine. Whoever cracks that one will be the money. The closest engine currently available is dear old HT.

We need to be thinking Direct Injection. That's the direction that the EPA wants the industry to head.
And who the heck is this EPA ?

There is a niche for an emission compliant, very light weight, fuel efficient, dedicated bicycle engine. Whoever cracks that one will be the money. The closest engine currently available is dear old HT.

But there is a dark hidden risk from an investors point of view.

Three elements HybriDude
1.Inovators/Architects/Ideas
2.Builders/Skills

3.Investors

1 & 2 is most of us here but can't do 3 all that well.

3 can't do 1 & 2.

Usually is seems 2 & 3 team up and leave 1 out when 1 and 2 had it good.

Eventually the fad will fade away, 3 will divorce 2 and 2 will reconcile with 1, but 1 is much the wiser.

3 will look for another 1 & 2, and on it goes.

There is 4, that entity controls 1,2 and 3. hence a probable risk, cos 4 could be the Govs. and the Govs. know many many 3's
And all want a piece of the action.

Last edited:
The image I have is Burt Munro down there in New Zealand, casting his own valves and cylinders, making THE modification that rockets the bike at 100+ mph.

It does seem that the century old design could be modernized, get them into the $400-500 range, and be marketable.

There are so many of the cheapies out there gathering dust in garages and basements, souring the purchaser to the whole idea.

start with someTHING that may save a life

Automatic chain tensioner. This is something we are brainstorming about now. Not sure how it is going to come out though.

a good chain tensioner may save a life -- great place to start

you state -- not sure how it is going to come out though
if you do just a little homework
there are many many good solid alteratives
check search

as we ride those motor bike THINGS

Back