Monark Springer Fork - Sturmey Archer drum Brake Compatibility?

Joseph

Local time
9:58 AM
We're building two electric BTR tribute bikes based on Worksman frames we have stretched 4". We've welded steel battery cases at the bottom bracket and the faux fuel tank holds the electronic controller.

We have an issue with the front brake. The drum brake "arm" is usually held in place with a clamp on the fork. However, on a springer fork, the arm must be positioned behind or beside the front smaller fork leg and in front of the larger rear fork leg. The problem is the smaller front fork leg is the one that floats up and down when the suspension is activated so the arm cannot be clamped directly to it.

I'm sure someone has already resolved this and I'm just over thinking it. Anyone with experience?

Thanks!

Joseph

clamp it to the floating leg of the fork,.. the wheel floats with the leg,.. i would also make the clamp strap bigger than the leg,.. it is there to prevent rotation nothing else,.. so if it can move up and down a little it wont interfere with the motion of the fork.

clamp it to the floating leg of the fork,.. the wheel floats with the leg,.. i would also make the clamp strap bigger than the leg,.. it is there to prevent rotation nothing else,.. so if it can move up and down a little it wont interfere with the motion of the fork.

Thanks pbeggs!
Actually I found a SA clamp that has an additional retainer clip built into it. So the clamp is tight on the leg and the brake arm can slip inside the additional retainer clip. We may have to tweak it a bit to make it work. Here's the item:
http://www.amazon.com/Sturmey-Archer-HSL-702-Brake-Clip/dp/B008ZTK70Q

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back