Money maker or loser?

darwin

Local time
3:03 AM
This bike is off of Pirate's site. Sold for $1800, was that a break even price or? Everything about the bike says quality. From the round alum tank, seat, forks, frame etc. Motor must be something special too. Did it cost more than 18cs to build? http://www.piratecycles1.com/febupst.html It's the Bull Taco bike.

I honestly don't care what the parts cost, I'm not paying $1800 for anything with a China girl in it. Sorry. I built a fully custom bike with a minibike engine and motorcycle forks for a grand less than that.

It looks well built and everything but I only see about $1200 worth of parts, including that $700 bicycle frame (unnecessary)

According to their price breakdown, they lost money. They don't list the cost of their "smooth cruise" clutch, but everything else adds up to $1825. So they lost $25, plus whatever that "smooth cruise" clutch cost.

According to their price breakdown, they lost money. They don't list the cost of their "smooth cruise" clutch, but everything else adds up to $1825. So they lost $25, plus whatever that "smooth cruise" clutch cost.

Forget the breakdown, they get a discount on anything with their name on it. Not to mention, that fuel tank absolutely did not cost $200 to make. On top of that they're putting the installation fee in the price breakdown.

You make a fair point. I still wouldn't pay $1800 for anything with a China girl in it. It's like buying a beach-front mansion. It might look beautiful, but one day it's gonna sink into the sea.

the economy depends on people manufacturing, and people consuming... every one else is just in the way... ie, lawyers...bank managers...politicians. they came up with the bleeding economy in the first place! what happened to good old barter? i like barter :)

but...yup. dealer...mass discount parts, not RRP as driven by the market. so instantly halve all the quoted figures. the figure is there to see what you would save if you buy them now rather than as parts...a whole 25 smackers. wowee. sign me up! in fact, less... cus you would be assembling it, i guess. so you lose. hmm.

hey, i worked at a place making flagpoles/goalposts. hate to be the salesman(they went through em fast!). how to sell a 30cm length of 50 mm pvc pipe with 2 endcaps and one small hole for $55? thats at LEAST a 1000% markup! (? about $5 tops, to make? )

back to the bike... like the beach side mansion that noone mentions is full of rust, is prone to subsidisation and is directly in the path of any largish waves... its all a show. everything that people do is just a show. preening. strutting. i can see the buyer right now, bragging about how good it is, how much it cost, while being (so far) unable to start it :giggle: probably be a new registered member in a few days, asking daft questions and going on about how they all this and that bit but it just wont start and theyre so #$^@ at the vendor and want a refund on th....shaddup, heads.

i wouldnt buy a $100,000 car that flashes lights and yells at me and wont let me go faster than 60km/h if i dont take it to an authorised dealer immediately...

i definitely would not buy a bmw if the engine was built in china! though i did see a "great wall" loaded with at least 2T of timber lugging along quite happily.... maybe worth the small sum they cost? for a year or two...maybe...

interesting...at the bottom, it mentions something about a 2700 dollar bike...a WHAT? with probably just a china to?

shove a morini in for 500 odd dollars, new, and yeah...maybe, just maybe... plus it better be full 8 inch suspension... dual front discs, lights, tacho, and the works...

those parts are listed at retail cost NOT dealer cost!!!
dealer cost is likely to be 50% less or more then stated cost

Back