Mongoose FS electric is finished

Discussion in 'Electric Bicycles' started by professor, Jan 15, 2010.

1. professor

professor Active Member

It is full suspension but had to crank down the rear spring to limit the movement of the rear triangle to keep the chain on. Made a plastic guide block for the back chain and seems to work good.
    Uses 4 9ah batterys mounted off the rack in back.
    Bike is heavy- 87#
    Uses a toggle power kill switch in the frame and an on/off wall switch to a cable up to the handlebar (converted brake) lever.
    The 250w motor seems well suited to just use it on/off with a top speed of 13 mph (my "Fast pedal speed"). Has a surprising abount of zap starting out.
    I don't know the range.
    Bike is comfortable with re-worked handlebars and real seat.

Attached Files:

2. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

I can guarantee you one thing, you won't have any frame problems. I have one that has been my faithful mule for a long time. The frame is indestructable. Nice how you kinda tucked that motor in there too. Need more pics. :grin5:

3. professor

professor Active Member

Thanks Denny, will do more pics.

4. professor

professor Active Member

More pics-
    Pic one, motor & jackshaft.
    Motor is captured between the top of jackshaft holder and the frame, w/ band type clamp up around the frame and the jackshaft hanger (kind of U shaped) bolts to the shock mount. Very secure but can come off.

Pic2, is a shot of the jackshaft which is a single speed freewheel type- big sprocket (you can see my tooth count marked "80' on the side of the sprocket- I needed to know it since I'm duplicating it for the gas/elect. bike) from the motor, bolts to the bike sprocket exacty like it did to the scooter hub. The output sprocket is welded to the other side (carefully and skip welded over time so as not to warp the brg, race)

Pic3 is the plastic chain guide, which is simply a block of plastic with the top rounded a bit. Saw it here I think, don't know about the long term, but motorcycles use this style I guess. Chain stays on now. There is an idler pulley above in the pic to guide the chain around the rear framework. It is off a mower deck and has to be HD, because it takes the drive side load from the jackshaft.

Pic4 - battery holders ( on each side) are a plate welded to a bracket with heavy wire (seen going horizontal) to "Capture" the batteys fro moving around.
    "O" rings (which are the black vertical things) hold them from bouncing upward.
    You can see the HT rag joint and bicycle sprocket which I drilled for the HT bolt pattern.

It would have been a lot less work to just have gotten a Curry gear motor set-up, but they are real loud (saw some on youtube) and that would have bothered me a lot.
    This is pretty subdued. You definitely hear it, but is something I can live with.

Attached Files:

5. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Prof - Is that the motor from Cali Electronics you posted about?
    Great job of engine mounting.

6. professor

professor Active Member

Wheelbender, I came up with that vendor here, I think.
    No, that motor came off a scooter. BUT I did buy 3 450w clutch motors from them. One is going on the gas/elect. bike.
    The clutches come off and can be reversed on the shaft. They are little sprag deals- really neat.
    Fast service. Gave a catalog to a sparkey buddy at work.

7. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Cool. Sprag clutches (sprague?) are used in turbine powered helicopters, so I suppose that they are tough enough for a motor bike.