More on quiet

Muffler

I am with ya Kerf and Large Filipino.

I was young too and thought dual pipes and glass-packs were the rage.

Noise sucks!

Just came back from test ride.

Alas, another scrapper.

If anything, the engine exhaust sounded louder. So, am removing the rig and have finally figured out there is no simple way. Will live with the noise. It is a small engine, not all that loud, but better if muffled.

As a matter of fact, I think much noise comes from the small opening near the muffler extension plate, and does not go through muffler.

I give up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Muffler

Whoa!

One last try coming up.

Noted lots of carbon on muffler (Tanaka muffler) So, I am thinking I do not have good seal at exit pipe and going to retry with silicone hose.

Have to order some, so it will be a week or so. I lost my only long piece of hose.

A brief cobble seems to indicate it does quiet the annoying exhaust purr that my T-33 makes - the bigger motors need more silence power. No way they could run without good set of earplugs and waking the dead.

Will report in a bit.

Muffler

The little pipe on the link is a chromed plated version of the $3.99 Briggs muffler I bought on eBay. The Briggs versions have threaded end that works with copper ends, however, making install easy.

Next week or so, will know for last try on this version.

Just want to kill the loud 2-cycle chatter a bit, without ungainly visual and physical contraptions.

cant wait to see if that muffler works for you, i have one of them sitting on a shelf in the garage, and eagerly await your findings before i go ahead and buy some silicone hose.

OMG, baffle tube failure, copper tube cracked, snapped like a dry twig. A little steel tube, a little grinding, a little welding, back in business.

Muffler

Paddy, am back from trip.

Will be giving it test ride later today.

If it does work, concern will be with direct hose connect to exhaust port and melting. May have to remove cage and the port and silver soldier a 3/8 copper pipe and/or elbow to the exit pipe, which I have been trying to avoid doing...

Muffler - Experiment Progress

As always, I only post material and advice I have actually tried.

Here are three pics from this latest and my last attempt to quiet this Tanaka-3300 motor's exhaust chatter.

Frankly, I really do not like the muffler set-up as ugly etc, but if it quiets the chatter, I might stay with it. It is small and out of way. Of course, copper can be used (soldered) instead of silicone hose I used to get set up and for ease in experimenting.

I had already drilled a small hole in cover to access the screw clamp inside the cage opening, but removing cage makes the process easier. If it does work, hole will be needed, unless elbow is soldered to pipe. It seems hose will always be needed at the first or top connection, however.

At this point, I can start motor and push muffler on to exhaust port. There is slight difference and at this point not worth the time and effort, etc. Under power is big question.

The engine fan system does make noise, but the idea is to quiet the loud chatter when power is applied. Unfortunately, the Tanaka port leaks. You will note a slit in the last pic, (blue line is hard to see) slit inside the cage opening on left as viewed.

At idle, exhaust is visible coming from slit and adjacent area- where the part fits on to Tanaka stock muffler. Under power, surely noisy and under pressure.

Will try fiberglass to block. I think the area gets too hot to use Permatex gasket materials. Will remove cage, and the pipe/ screen part to use glass to seal hole which will be held in place by replacing exhaust port part. May try to seal edges also, but careful not to let glass foul the arrestor screen.

Also, the hose shows signs it may not stand up to heat, in which case one must silver solder or weld a 3/8 copper elbow to pipe and that may be going too far for the little change that we may get. Will see how the seal works first.

Appreciate working input.

Attachments

• Ex1.jpg
    Ex1.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 310
  • Ex2.jpg
    Ex2.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 267
  • Ex3 copy.jpg
    Ex3 copy.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 259
Muffler

Here are pics of today's tricks.

First, it does reduce the chatter - a little - which is noted when assy is removed and replaced, while motor running.

Is it worth the trouble? Not really. Will ride it as is for day or so and tell all y'all - plural.

Anyway, I installed fiberglass around insert to seal slit, which you can see in pic 2.

First pic is dirty exhaust port, from leaky hose etc. I think engine was running for number two pic.

Pic Three: loose muffler assy.

Ran motor and noted exhaust coming out a bit. It could be from that area or from where muffler attaches to engine above...probably a bit of both. Looks like stock muffler is not perfect seal...fan picks up some of the exhaust and scatters it through cage, etc.

Will let you know later what happens and what I learn.

Attachments

• Exh1.jpg
    Exh1.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 316
  • Exh2.jpg
    Exh2.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 280
  • Exh3.jpg
    Exh3.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 305
Muffler - Experiment Progress

Final word on final experiment. For a "Tanaka-3300," this muffler attempt is not worth the time and inconvenience. Need bigger tank like Kerf's.

The intent was to build smaller muffler to reduce the harsh chatter when opening up throttle and although it does remove some of the chatter, when at full bore, the muffler I used (little Briggs and Stratton) is too small to alter the chatter that much.

Maybe a modified Briggs and Stratton can might work, but then the whole thing gets too complicated etc, at least for me, so will settle with the noise as is ... but Kerf's successful project has got me thinking ...

Glad he kept at it.

Those running larger Tanaka and Mitsubishi engines and similar versions will have to use the larger versions noted on the forum, like Kerf's, using longer chambers etc.

And I sympathize with their need to solve quieting problem. Quiet is best, particularly where the laws are somewhat ambiguous regarding motored bicycles or where neighbors prefer quiet, which is most everywhere.

If someone does more experimenting and gets a significant and satisfactory result, by all means post it.

Back