Safety Most important saftey Item

Yep, helmet & eye protection. I am no longer " young & invincible , " like I once THOUGHT I was. So, after several concussions, head & neck injuries, & finally neck reconstructive surgery,,,,,,,, a helmet is always worn on any bike.

Helmet, definitely. Followed in order by eye protection (hey, I got one plastic lens in my right eye, I'm not looking to replace the left lens), then good sturdy shoes/boots, then a glove - I only need one, then sturdy pants and shirt.

The rider's attitude: The one that says I will stop myself from getting careless and will protect myself in every reasonable way to keep others from hurting me. From there, the list of behaviors (situational awareness) and physical protection grows.

Situational awareness ("What could happen in the next 10 seconds?) is your first line of defense. The physical gear helps when your first line of defense breaks down.

Helmet, shatter proof eye protection not cheap sunglasses, long pants, gloves, sturdy footwear, loud pipes. Defensive driving and paying attention are not enough. A mini van with person on a cell phone is the most dangerous thing out there with a 17 year old in any vehicle being a close second!

Helmet,and rear view mirrors are a must. as a daily motorbike commuter, on an over populated island, watching your back is a daily headache!!!...and...please... no flip flops

Helmet, then BRAKES and eye protection.

From my own experience of which almost 7,000 kilometers (4350 miles) may not count for much, i would almost be inclined to put BRAKES (make that big BRAKES) ahead of a helmet.

Fabian

Last edited:
The rider's attitude: The one that says I will stop myself from getting careless and will protect myself in every reasonable way to keep others from hurting me. From there, the list of behaviors (situational awareness) and physical protection grows.

Situational awareness ("What could happen in the next 10 seconds?) is your first line of defense. The physical gear helps when your first line of defense breaks down.

bingo... your awareness/attitude/driving habits are everything. Get careless and you are toast.

Back