Most Peculiar Sighting in Downtown Portland

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by prism, Jul 22, 2008.

1. prism

prism Guest

I was coming home from the library in the Hollywood district, and had just achieved the shelter of the bus stop, when LO! I see first one bicycle with a helper motor, then another, come down 42nd avenue! I nearly fell to my knees in shock at seeing one in the smoke-spewing flesh, and when the thing came away from the stop with no pedalling....

I thought you were supposed to pedal, and neither of these people did!

I'm not sure what kind of engine they had, other than 'it was frame-mounted in the usual place for an 'Unhappy-Time', and it was most definitely a two-stroke. (In both cases).

Acceleration from the stop was somewhat laggardly in both cases, (Though ample by my standards) and in the second case, the engine seemed to 'hit' when it was about 'half wound up'. Both engines sounded like, uh, 'weed-eater' motors. (Not sure what a happy-time sounds like, never having heard one actually run. Pat's is still in hiding somewhere...

Oh, I was expecting them to make more noise, also. (???)

Supposedly, there are a few people running these in Portland. I hope to join them soon, as that *&#$%% bus is getting old

2. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

They should be pedalling if they don't want to burn their clutches out.

You want noise? Just blow an exhaust gasket! :shock: Seriously though, the HT engines with stock exhausts are pretty quiet.
  3. stude13

stude13 Active Member

hi; there i at least one guy selling those in portland, he sell on craigs list.
  4. Skyliner70cc

Skyliner70cc Active Member

Sounds like a HT motor and possibly with a centrifugal clutch?
  5. prism

prism Guest

I'm not sure these were happy-time motors, even if the location was right. They, uh, looked
    more like something removed from a backpack blower, actually - the 'magneto-cover' protruded an easy four inches from the crankcase, and I think that motor was 'pull-start'. Also, it was a solid black color, not the 'raw aluminum (aluminium) of the typical happy-time.
  6. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

They didn't pedal because they have no pedals....

Here is a pic of one of them and yes there is a local guy that makes quite a few of them

Attached Files:

7. prism

prism Guest

Bingo! That looks more or less like what I saw.
    Important, though - no Gendarmes seemed inclined to bother either person, which is good - as I am mortally afraid of Gendarmes, and I wish no trouble with them.

Lathe Ho!
  8. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

where do you put your feet at?
  9. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

There are bolt on foot pegs that weren't shown in the pic for
    some reason.
    Every other pic i have of these front sprocket drtiven bikes is
    very bad quality. You do get to use all the gears in your cassette

You can maybe see the pegs in this pic

Attached Files: