Moto 2.0 AKA The Beast

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by Timbone, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Timbone

Timbone Active Member

Well, the old moto is gone and the new moto has emerged. This is based on the prefabbed GT2-A frame and I am very happy with it!

Here's a mock up with wheels, tires, saddle and 1 /1/8' threadless stem. The headset is included with the frame. All you need is a fork and a stem. beast1.jpg

Here is the build up as a perfectly functioning bicycle:

Here is a nearly final result:

I can't ride it yet as I got surprised by the fuel tank. It has a female thread that, very fortunately, links up with a WATTS LFA-40 needle valve that I found at the hardware store. That should serve nicely as a petcock. But I will still need to find a suitable step down to a 1/4 barb to run the fuel line. That's tomorrow's problem. These brass fitting threads have always confused me with their MIP, FIP, etc. If I have to, maybe I will run a tiny bit of copper tubing.

I could maybe use my stock petcock by finding some kind of adapter. The GTA-2 thread is something like M10 x ??? The stok petcock I have has a 1/2'or so female coupling.

This should be one of the easier problems to solve.

My biggest problem was one I suspected: my 415 chain was one link short! I'll have to buy a new one but I think I was successful in ADDING the last link I removed from it. When I removed it, I was careful to only move the link the absolute minimum to free it. All my years of bicycle maintenance taught me to do that. Using a block of wood, a small hammer, a small pair of vice grips and a chain tool, I was able to slowly work the chain stud back through to a workable position! The link is loose and looks like the others. I think it will be fine.

So, since the sun was setting and there was no way to gas it up, I took the new build out for a 2 mile pedal ride. Geez, everything is solid and smooth. Need to tweak the rear canti brakes and the stem is a tad off line, but this thing is ready to roll!