Motoped kit

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by superhawk, May 11, 2014.

1. superhawk

superhawk New Member

I just purchased a 2nd generation Motoped kit from a seller on Ebay. Looking forward to building this kit, although it looks like may be pretty pricey to complete.
    I already have three Honda clone motors on hand, 50-125cc.
    Had a bit of a problem with the seller on Ebay as there was no rear sprocket in the kit as shown in the original listing. He called me incompetent and said I away incapable of finishing the kit. He earned a negative from me, his Ebay listings now say "no sprockets included"
    I will have to fabricate a adapter to mount a xr50 sprocket or get a blank and machine the mounting holes.
    I will post build pictures as I progress.

Attached Files:

2. k-wad

k-wad Member

Very cool!
    I've been drooling over those since I first found out about them. :drool5:
    Can't wait to see it all built up.

3. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

We had a bunch of Motopeds at the last April 12th Socal Motor Bicycle Racing event.

There will be more of them at our next race on Sat May 31st at Grange Motor Circuit.

10245548_509283599198092_8928207994439784146_n.jpg

4. vegas3416

vegas3416 Member

do you know how thick the jackshaft mount is...the aluminum plate that houses the jackshaft and holds the bottom bracket..thanks in advance

5. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

Join the Motoped Build/Ride Facebook group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1432733183623914/

6. vegas3416

vegas3416 Member

I'll try joining but I just wanted to see really just two small specs they are using for a custom build I'm building..I'm not building a motoped but a cruiser/chopper style bike. Street only use...just wanted to get thickness of that plate to see if I'm about what there's is and how long the spindle is..my build well not have the plate housing the bottom bracket like there's and is not full suspension..

7. superhawk

superhawk New Member

The plate is .499 inch thick

8. vegas3416

vegas3416 Member

Thanks..do you know spindle length? I should have asked that as well sorry..the last thing I'll ever ask for lol

9. vegas3416

vegas3416 Member

Also is the bike built already...haven't seen any pics

10. superhawk

superhawk New Member

If you mean the jackshaft
    -total length approx. 10 in.
    -bearing center to center for mounting to sideplates is approx 8 in.
    -bearing center to center for swing arm is 7 in.
    I'm waiting for the rear sprocket from the seller and I have a Cafe Racer project to finish first.
    No problem about asking questions.

11. vegas3416

vegas3416 Member

I meant the spindle the pedals bolt to sorry..Thanks again

12. superhawk

superhawk New Member

- spindle is diameter is 1.75"
    -aluminum tube is 8.75" long
    -overall length is 11" (pedal axle)

13. vegas3416

vegas3416 Member

1.75" thick??? Did you mean .75 or 3/4"...1.75" seems huge...that thing would weigh a ton..

14. superhawk

superhawk New Member

That's the tubular aluminum housing where the steel pedal shaft is supported by ball bearings at each end.
    The side plates clamp on this housing, 1.75" hole.

15. vegas3416

vegas3416 Member

What about the chain tensioners..did you have to buy those or did they come with..if you bought where did you get them

16. superhawk

superhawk New Member

Both tensioners came with the kit

17. vegas3416

vegas3416 Member

You know I just realized that these tensioners are made with Delrin or Polyurethane and I have a ton of Delrin sitting in the shop. I also have a CNC machine. I think I am going to just machine some myself. Having the light bulb go off while on google searching for these was a good idea. Now I don't have to spend any money on them.