Motor Bike with Side-Car

Discussion in 'Whizzer Motorized Bicycles' started by Kestrel Motors Inc., Sep 17, 2011.

1. Hey everybody, I'm thinking of building a 40's or 50's style motorbike with a side-car. I have a 7 horse Briggs and Stratton engine that I'm going to put on it, so the weight won't be a problem. I don't know if I want to put just a chair, or make an enclosed one (like a regular motorcycle side-car) on it. Just give me some thoughts or ideas, Thanks!

2. professor

professor Active Member

Well, do the bike first. Then think about the sidecar.

3. Well, the thought was to integrate the sidecar in with the frame of the side-car.
    This was I was kind of thinking about.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  4. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Side Car

hey K.M.I., Just check out the laws in your area before you put it on the street. In Califormia you gotta be 16 to ride one on the street, sidecar or not.
    I think it's gonna ride like a tall trike. The center of gravity is gonna be real high on something like that. I've built a trike with a high center, I called it THE WIDOWMAKER. you can see it in my album. It was a lot of fun, but very dangerous to ride. I had to take the turns real slow.
    Plan it, build it. and SAFTEY FIRST.
    Big Red.

5. Ok, to ride it "legally" I would have to have a fender on the side-car. The way I need to build it can't have pedals, and would be considered a motorcycle. If it had pedals it would be considered "pedal assist" and I could do anything that I wanted. Even if all the pedals do is start the bike then it's still considered "pedal assist". I might be able to go that route. Thanks for the input.

6. BAM

BAM Member

I think that bike is cool you would have to flip a coin to see who rides shot gun lol

7. At 14, I think if you built those motored bikes from scratch because you don't like kits you are uber cool.

As for your sidecar idea. Scratch that, instead do it the other way.

Does Ben Hur mean anything to you?

Make the side car on the back of the bike "back car" , reverse it so instead of sitting your passenger is standing and it is now a motorized bicycle chariot.

THAT would be cool and it has not been done on this forum or anything else motored bike for that matter.

Thoughts?

8. Hey, thanks,
    Yeah, that would be a cool idea. I'll put it into consideration...

9. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Check out the T3 Motion ESV sometime.

10. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

?????

Kinda cool, But it's not a bike.

11. I found the frame and engine for it today. My brother started a motorbike once and I'm gonna finish it and put on a side-car on it. All he did was put on the motor plate on it and find an engine. He started it so I can keep the pedals on it and it will be legal to drive on the rode... It's a Briggs and Stratton, it's not the 7 horse I wanted to put on it, but I think that it's a 2 or 3 horse... I'll post pics later.

12. I cut the top bar today, and put in a curve so that the engine will fit. The next thing that I need to do is get a large v-belt pulley for the back wheel, and I'll be ready to mock it all up.

13. Here's the frame, before and after putting the new bar in...

Attached Files:

14. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Side car bike

That'll do it. Very inventive. As far as the engine goes, most states only allow around 2hp anyway. That would be like a 49cc engine. I think the smaller engine will get you past the cops better.
    Keep up the good work and keep your progress posted.
    Big Red.

15. Picture of the engine.

Attached Files: