Motor kit for adult tricycle?

My main want out of my motor is to get up hills more easily, as the meridian only has one speed, and the speed does not matter to me.

all the easy builds of these I've seen use an electric front hub

Keep searching the forum archives, there have been many of these built in the past. A friend here in town has one he built with one of those $99 4-strokes from Harbor Freight.

If your main objective is to get up hills and you want to pedal the rest of the time, the easiest way to do that is with a 2 stroke kit and a bigger rear sprocket. A 56t sprocket ought to pull you up hills just fine. You will need anything o be creative in mounting the motor, but it can be done.

Kingdusk,
Looking at the trike I think it would be easiest to just put the electric wheel motor on it.
If you only want an occasinal boost up the hills you could go with a low output DC electric motor wheel, then use the cheapest 10 AH lead/acid lawn and garden batteries. 2 for 24V, 3 for 36V.. A box in the basket could hide em, and the cost would be a fraction of the 20 mile range, 20mph batteries from the electrobike catalogs.
Hopefully it won't drag when it's off and you're pedaling. If it's a low output you could get away without a speed controller, just use an on/off switch and a circuit breaker.
The low output motor won't j e r k too much or spin the tire. A nice assist for the hills and that's all.
If you aren't into long rides, going fast or continuous running it might just work.
Just a thought.
Good luck to you!

Trikes are tricky machines.
20MPH is the safe top speed on a straight flat road.

Even though I am fan of electric mid mount electrics that use a trikes rear gears your bike has no gears or good brakes so I concur with a front wheel electric hub.

I am in the process of electrifying a Schwinn Meridian. I considered the hub motors but at the moment I am leaning towards a gear reduction motor.

I am in the process of electrifying a Schwinn Meridian. I considered the hub motors but at the moment I am leaning towards a gear reduction motor.
SickBikeParts.com carries the electric systems I use for 2 and 3 wheels E-builds.
I don't know if your trike has gears or not, but if it does I found this system to work pretty well...

2_Trike3FL.jpg

2_Trike3Lback.jpg

By making a box for the back I fit everything electric including the charger in it ;-}

Thanks for the info....do you have a shot from underneath, something that shows how you attached the motor, what gears and sprockets you used, etc? I have only a single speed bike, no gears. I have a spot on the axle I think I could squeeze a sprocket into, preferably a freewheel for the motor.

Back