Motorbicycles in traffic, take a lane ?

retromike3

Local time
4:39 PM
If I am on a road in the berbs and I need to take a left turn or there is a section of road without a bike lane should I take a lane of traffic if I can keep up with the speed limit? (officially I can only go twenty-five:whistle:) Or do I stay in bike mode and keep hugging the right side?

What do you think?

Mike Frye-the bike guy

Last edited:
I always ride in the lane, it is much safer. Just watch out for those a-holes that want to pass you on a two lane road in a no passing zone. You don't even know that they are there and all of a sudden there is a car to your left, flying by.

In sunny Bullhead city there is no shoulder , no curb, no sidewalk .
Only the broken edge of the two inches of asphalt that passes for a roadway here .
I always use the roadway .
But I do not ride at 800, 1200, 1 , 3 or beer thirty.

Most people have a phenomenon occur whenever they slip behind the wheel. A speed limit sign that says 35 MPH is always read as 45 and one that says 40 is always read as 50. The point being, unless your riding in a school zone, it's almost impossible to keep up with traffic. This does create the hazard of being overtaken by cars, just have to pray the driver's not texting or drunk. In my area I have no bike lanes and I never ride shoulders. I try to stay away from high volume, high speed roads, in my case this means early morning rides. I generally keep as far right as possible but sometimes that isn't wise.

On narrow two lane roads, people will pass you by trying to slide between you and an oncoming car. Not only do they get too close to you but if things get dicey, they'll sacrifice you to keep from hitting another car. Sometimes, in these situations, I get right in the middle of my lane so they can't pass. Better to be cursed at than buried.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some good tips here:
http://bicyclesafe.com/
Yes, take the lane when you are turning left. I ride where there are no sidewalks and no bike lanes as well. I stay off the large boulevards, and plan my trips to use smaller side streets. Watch for drivers trying to pass you on the left as you change lanes. My biggest dilemma seems to be I'm generally traveling at a higher speed than a leg powered bike. On a 2 lane street, this sometimes requires drivers to exceed the speed limit when passing me and swing into the opposite lane. This could create a dangerous situation if someone is entering the road from a side street.
This book was a good read, but I wouldn't buy it. I found it at the local library.
Effective Cycling -John Forester
http://www.amazon.com/Effective-Cyc...TF8&coliid=I1309OQ3J6TFKE&colid=1RIY1ANRDZFT4

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Fact of life as previously stated is that every car driver goes 5 to 10 miles over speed limit most of the time meaning 40-50 MPH.

"Keeping up with traffic" mantra frequently posted here is just an illusion, dangerous if tried, unless your bike can cruise at at least 45 MPH which is generally speaking not very likely.

I ride on sidewalks which in my town not even hookers use, when I smell a pig around I fake pedal.

So far so good.

It's a good question and one with any amount of MB riding one can't help but mull over. In practice I've come to keep right pretty much all the time with some exceptions:

-Turning left on roads with clear view and light (usually very rural) traffic.
-In an urban or downtown area where traffic is slow and speed limit under 25, then I claim a lane for left turns.

A lot of times on roads near me when the traffic is more high speed and getting crazy, to turn left I'll pull right and stop and then use the light or crosswalk.

Most people have a phenomenon occur whenever the slip behind the wheel. A speed limit sign that says 35 MPH is always read as 45 and one that says 40 is always read as 50. The point being, unless your riding in a school zone, it's almost impossible to keep up with traffic. This does create the hazard of being overtaken by cars, just have to pray the driver's not texting or drunk. In my area I have no bike lanes and I never ride shoulders. I try to stay away from high volume, high speed roads, in my case this means early morning rides. I generally keep as far right as possible but sometimes that isn't wise.

On narrow two lane roads, people will pass you by trying to slide between you and an oncoming car. Not only do they get too close to you but if things get dicey, they'll sacrifice you to keep from hitting another car. Sometimes, in these situations, I get right in the middle of my lane so they can't pass. Better to be cursed at than buried.

You in Birmingham, Al...if so lets get together some time and ride Oak Mountain in Pelham...It is a great ride. Also Cheaha State Park would also be a good one. Been to both, only rode HT at Oak Mountain.

Kerf.. I don't know where you live (probably a berb of Birmingham USA?) If so, yes we have the same problem here in Calera, 30 miles south. Also the terrain is hilly and curvy where most speed limits are 45 (no way I'll do that) even if traffic is. On occasion I've encountered the guy that wants to pass you not only crossing the double yellow line around a curve but at the same time up a hill. Although it hasn't happened to me but a couple of times, HT's are unusual here, drivers see a bike, and then pull out in front of you as they didn't judge your speed as being say 30MPH. Talking on cell phones, texting, inattention, and drinking STSOOM. I don't ride during high volume traffic hours and I don't ride when the sun might be in a position to hinder a driver...

Last edited:
You in Birmingham, Al...if so lets get together some time and ride Oak Mountain in Pelham...It is a great ride. Also Cheaha State Park would also be a good one. Been to both, only rode HT at Oak Mountain.

Kerf.. I don't know where you live (probably a berb of Birmingham USA?) If so, yes we have the same problem here in Calera, 30 miles south. Also the terrain is hilly and curvy where most speed limits are 45 (no way I'll do that) even if traffic is. On occasion I've encountered the guy that wants to pass you not only crossing the double yellow line around a curve but at the same time up a hill. Although it hasn't happened to me but a couple of times, HT's are unusual here, drivers see a bike, and then pull out in front of you as they didn't judge your speed as being say 30MPH. Talking on cell phones, texting, inattention, and drinking STSOOM. I don't ride during high volume traffic hours and I don't ride when the sun might be in a position to hinder a driver...

I'm in the NE portion of Jefferson County, a ride in Oak Mountain would be great. I know that Calera isn't where it used to be, everything is becoming a berb of somewhere around here. Used to be when you left Alabaster, you drove through the sticks forever to get to Calera, not so much now. One more housing boom and it'll be solid berbs all the way to Montgomery.

Back