motorcycle builder here to learn :o)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by gordonscott, Feb 5, 2009.

1. gordonscott

gordonscott New Member

Hello everyone, my name is Scott and I'm new to motorized bicycles,looks like a blast! I have a small business making "one-off" handemade motorcycle parts, mostly exhaust and handlebars but some frames as well. Am going to build a board track style bike and am here to learn from the pro's, cant wait! here is a little of my work...

Attached Files:

2. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

welcome Scott

nice looking two wheels built there

it's going to be fun from up top this old mountain

watching you build a motorized bicycle

as we say around here -- have fun -- and ride that thing

3. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard.

I really like that vertical twin you built. that's an old Yamaha XS 650 engine, isn't it?

I have a feeling we can expect a nice looking motor assisted bicycle from you.

Keep us posted, huh?

4. welcome aboard, I worked in a independent custom Harley shop building customs myself for 13 years

Later,
    Randy

5. gordonscott

gordonscott New Member

hello guys, thanks for the welcome. That is a xs650 motor! very reliable and cheep to build compared to the american alt, I use those motors all the time(have 5 of them) for my builds. I have found some beauitiful bikes here and some great talent for sure, I know what it takes to build a motorcycle from scratch and can realy appreciate the work some of you have in these bikes, much harder then it may look, and for a few bikes here they were no easier than building a full size motorcycle, I'm VERY impressed.

Attached Files:

6. one of my backups to my Harley as a teenager was a 1976 BiCentennial edition Yamaha 650 it was a great bike one of the few I wish I had kept. I had considered a chopper project using one just for a reliable daily rider as the Harleys are too expensive to maintain, all 4 of mine need extensive work with one needing case welding.

Randy

7. mabman

mabman Member

In case you missed this one?
    RiquimbiliWhizBang.jpg
    The big problem with replica builds is the motor looking like a motor. The 2 stroke looks like a motor until you fire it up and figure out real fast that it is a 2 stroke. The 4 stroke alternatives, except for the Whizzer motor shown here, all look industrial. Because that is the market they were originally made for.

At some point there will be a better looking 4 stroke made, how hard could it be for the right company, hear me Honda etc? Or Ridley to make a little V twin even? About the closest I have seen in 49cc that could be made available is this one:
    04.jpg

Those are some nice welds but check these out:
    DSC00748.JPG

Good luck and will look forward to seeing your posts here.

8. gordonscott

gordonscott New Member

Hey Mabman, I am VERY new to all this but looks of the motor is the second thing I realized I had to overcome. That motor you show, what is that, Lifan? I like the way "I ridecustoms" did his Indian style bike, very clever with the motor mounting and all,looks bigger then it realy is. Oh ya, nice beads! I wasn't trying to show off with that picture of my weld, just trying to introduce myself quickly sort of speak:grin5: and that BTR is very sharp, I was thinking something like this...

Attached Files: