Tires motorcycle tire versus bicycle tire

Discussion in 'Bicycle Repair' started by Scootmeister, May 11, 2012.

1. Scootmeister

Scootmeister Member

I found a 110 x 90 x 16 tire on sale so I thought what the hey. As the photos show, the tire has a larger diameter than the 4 1/4" OCC tire, 24" versus 20", making the rear tire match the front to eliminate the "Frankenstein" effect I got with the smaller tire. It adds a little weight but my 66cc Chinagirl has no problem hauling my heavy Stiletto around even with the heavier tire. The 4-ply tire rides a lot stiffer, but with the springer seat and springer front end I hardly notice. I hope to get considerably more mileage out of this new tire with no punctures.

Attached Files:

2. Cavi Mike

Cavi Mike Member

I also put a 110/90 on mine but I prefer the offset chopper look of a short fat tire in the back and a tall skinny up front so I upped to a 26" front wheel. I also raked the **** out of my bike.

3. Scootmeister

Scootmeister Member

Yeh, Mike. I don't think I've seen your bike but I've seen pictures of Motorpsycho's Stiletto with a 26er up front and a 24 on back. I like the look too, it reminds me of some of the Harley custom baggers with 16s on the back and 21inchers up front. As you probably know, Coker and others make 3" vintage motorcycle tires for 26" rims if you want to go wider. 3" bicycle tires are a lot cheaper but they are hard to find with a good durable tread. I have 26 x 2.25 Bontragers on another bike and they get a little squirrely over 25MPH. It could be my Murray cantilever frame is flexing some too. This bike is much more stable. If clearance isn't a problem, I'm switching the 2.25s to 3 inchers for a little more stability. Take care and thanks for your interest.

4. Cavi Mike

Cavi Mike Member

I wasn't aware of the Coker tires, I'll definitely look them up, thanks for the tip. Mine is still an unfinished project. Just started working on it again the other day. I'll update my thread.