Motored bicycle publicity

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by 4doora, May 30, 2008.

1. 4doora

4doora Guest

2. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

Some dude posted a comment and plagiarized my post on the laws and regs forum big time... check it from article:

Required specifications:
    No more than 50cc
    No more than 30mph on the flats
    Headlight viewable from 500 yards in dark
    Taillight AND brake light viewable from 500 yards in dark
    Must not require you to shift for engine power (variable transmissions ok and clutch ok)
    Registration costs $3 per year (yeah, three whole dollars)
    No fee for plate.
    No inspection, ever! Not even when registration is first issued.

Here is what you need to bring with you to the DMV:
    Bike frame serial# (usually underneath near the crank)
    Make and manufacturer
    Model
    Year
    Color

No title required, No bill of sale. Just tell them it's a home built from a kit.
    - David, Keene

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=10428

Gawdammm! at least he could have retyped it a bit... I still (as far as I know) hold title as first NH motoredbiker :)

3. stude13

stude13 Active Member

hi; great publicity. i post under bikes for sale in craigs list--seattle. fyi--im not selling anything--eco ride 200mpg+ 30mph peddle or not, check out motoredbikes.com, gebe, and other sources. i even give my net add, if we all did it locallyimagine how many riding buddies we could have. good luck mitch

4. augidog

augidog Banned

5. Zev0

Zev0 Member

Excellent post in that area Dog. Spread the word, that is the word.

6. erickster

erickster Member

You know-- I'm going to be honest. I would write my local news and tell them I get a bike that does 150 mpg, and they MIGHT do a story on it, BUT--- one time I emailed them after my xbox360 broke-- i was ****ed because it had a 3 month warranty, and died on the 4th month after VERY VERY normal, maybe even less than normal use. So right away, they came and did a story on it. Turned out they made me look pretty geeky, and cut out everything I said that was IMPORTANT. I was embarrassed and a little mad.

The ONE good thing that came out of it-- the NEXT WEEK, Microsoft raised their warranty to 3 years & refunded EVERYONE who paid money to have it fixed before that. Was my story the last straw? Maybe-- I live in a big city-- I'm sure I didn't help their sales that Christmas! hahaha.

At 22/23 years old-- the last thing I needed was for the entire city to see me on the TV complaining about my Xbox360. That didn't help my rep-- hahaha. A motorized bicycle story might not help me recover.

I think I need a story about me running into a burning building and saving a baby.

http://www.cbs8.com/features/consumer_alert/story.php?id=73561#

7. augidog

augidog Banned

no offense intended...video-games and motorized bicycles are two different animals. one has hindered healthy socialization of our younger generations, the other promises the exact opposite.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  8. erickster

erickster Member

Haha.. Thing is, I only play a video game probably about once a week. I was just mad that it broke, because it was expensive!! I actually ride my bike more than I play video games. Which isn't much STILL. Although, for the FIRST time, I road my bike all the way to work. It's about a 12 mile ride. There's a TON of hills here, so it was interesting. I don't do it that often though because of the busy roads... I really have a hard time trusting drivers.

Otherwise, I get all my excersize playing on my soccer team, or hittin' the weights.

Oh, and hey--- at least their a little socialization on the video games when you play online! lol

9. augidog

augidog Banned

haha back at ya...i know you understand what i meant, and i get yer drift, too...overall not many young folks are being as active as you happen to be, tho :)

10. erickster

erickster Member

probably not. I think people are more active in Southern CA than in other states though. I'm basing that theory off of some statistics I heard. I think it has to do with the weather & "hollywood". We don't have "winter". We have like, a total of 10 rainy days a year in SD, lol. But yeah, video games can really be addicting. I'm not going to lie-- SOME video games, especially the ones on the new systems, are like watching a movie, and then being able to control the character. You can really get into the action, and the story line. Some of these new games actually start off like a movie sequence, and then before you know it, you're in control.

Anyway-- back to the subject. Good publicity for motorized bicycles is important. I'll tell you what. If we can get some celebrities on motorized bicycles, that'd jump start it. It should be the next iPod. I KNOW that if I rode my bike around the beaches, people would stop and ask questions, and get into the idea. I just wish my bike looked a little cooler. I need a new muffler.. thatsdax doesn't have any more of the cool ones in stock. Bummer. I wish I knew someone my own age, or had a friend that drove one of these bikes. I'm the only one I've ever met that ones one of these.

One time I was passing a big "earth day" event downtown, and I saw ONE older man driving a motorized bike and I almost wanted to pull over in traffic and take pictures and shake his hand. It was like seeing a myth in real life.. hahaha.

11. augidog

augidog Banned

when you finally find a riding buddy, your world will really change...san diego, eh? well, here's driving directions to the ocean park rally in august.

head north (water on left)
    stop at my place.

:cool:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  12. sparky

sparky Active Member

Thanks for the link, I was hoping I'd get to read the article. In case that cache is eventually updated to show the current page that asks for a registration, here it is:

13. fastboy9

fastboy9 Member

Any publicity for the cause is good I guess, the guys at the other forum have got featured and have linked their site: http://www.quazen.com/Recreation/Autos/Motorized-Bicycle-Revolution.131703

I have been commenting as many articles and youtube/myspace videos as possible telling people where they can find more information. Might have to try and get some publicity over here in the UK, as they are illegal I'm not sure how I could do that!

Fasboy

14. augidog

augidog Banned

from the article:
    pimping HT's & cheap bicycles..."send us your money, then go out & kill yourself."

thanks for that one...we can't let folks get sucked into thinking there's only one source of info, tho...so i commented, let's see if it stays. since i'm no longer MBc-staff i can start saying things i had to shup about.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  15. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

Whenever people ask me about MB's I always tell them to start off with at least a $500 kit. I straight out tell them they can get a kit for $200 but it's chinese junk and they'll be disappointed. I figure if they aren't interested because of the price tag then they shouldn't be motorizing a bike in the first place. You have to expect to put a fair amount of money into a vehicle so it doesn't get you stranded or catastrophically fail on you endangering yourself and others.
    Furthermore, whats the image of a poor guy pushing a broken MB down the road going to do for our hobby..? It'll just make people think all MB's are cheap, unreliable and UNSAFE.

16. sparky

sparky Active Member

I've been doing the same on digg.com anytime a fairly fresh article on fuel efficiency hits the front page of Digg (and they come up quite a bit now, I wonder why).

17. fastboy9

fastboy9 Member

brilliant! yeah I didnt think of that sort of thing, I'm going to start too. Almost every new person to the forum is saying about how much a week it costs them to fill up their "truck"! Over here in the UK the average engine size is 1.8 litres, just a guess but in the US its about 3 litres? Theres no replacement for displacement! My mum spends about 60 pound (about 120 dollars) on petrol a week, its ridiculous. And as hard as it is to believe, this is one of the best practical solution for people on a budget. In the paper there is always articles about "the rising cost of gas" so I think we all should start cross linking and introducing people to the motorized bicycle concept. I dont know about you but I love telling people about it! 80mpg, 44mph top speed, can lift it with one hand, soon everybody will want one!

18. sparky

sparky Active Member

That's why I like the 250cc or less sub-form for non-pedal bikes, like Graucho builds. I mean if anything, they're our best allies... they're nothing like cagers or full-blown Harleys. Moving people up the motored bike scale or down toward motored bikes is good. Maybe somebody starts out with a huge Harley or Honda, but talks to his mini chopper friend about how $4/gal gas is too much for him still... then the mini chopper guy says, why not use your big hog *and* a motorized bicycle. It's even more fun that that huge hog!!! I feel like that kinda cross-linking inside this forum is best for word of mouth advertising to this site.

:shock: No way!

19. augidog

augidog Banned

ever-vigilant, let's steer 'em straight.

has anyone found any more internet-instances that require the MBc-touch?