Motored Biking Racing in Arizona

Status
Not open for further replies.
death-race-flyer1.jpg

(previous page)

Two Australians talking about an America race... hmmmmmmm...

I guess if there is going to be a place for "trash talk" between people who will actually be in the race it will take place on the forum of the race organizers, but I haven't seen any activity there:

http://spookytoothcycles.com/

p1-race-track.jpg

http://spookytoothcycles.com/blog/34-blog/282-death-race-2010

I looooooove this track. It looks like top speeds of 50 mph would be possible on the straightaways if you have the power and if you have the tires for knee dragging (which I do) it would be possible to carry 30 mph in the turns. I'd probably be able to do that track near full throttle most of the way.

Unfortunately I have another trip planned (months ago) near that time as well, so on top of the distance I have a scheduling problem that cancels me out of it. I wish I could be there.

Last edited:
What's your problem, 'safe'?
Nothing to do but troll about here?
No wonder you were banned elsewhere.
If you have nothing to say, say nothing.

What's your problem, 'safe'?
No problem. It's just funny that two Australians posted so much about an American race. Had things transpired differently I might have made this one.

Some more images of last years race:

halloween-winners2.jpg

happy2008.jpg

1st pic was from last halloween's race (small turnout, not much notice was given)
2nd pic is happy (spunout) from 2-3 yrs ago

Thanks for the corrections.

Another problem I realized is that you must have "operable pedals" to enter this race. My old bike is without pedals and is electric only. (classified as a moped in Missouri) So even if I wanted to enter I would not be eligible based on the rules.

My new bike would be legal... and I'm thinking about moving nearer to Arizona in the near future (hopefully in a year) so next year I might be close enough and prepared enough to enter.

Hopefully this year will really place this race on the map as "the event" for motorized bikes so that next year it will be really big when I can enter. :)

Setting The Distance

There is some nervousness on the Endless Sphere site about the length of the race. For electric the race cannot exceed 10 miles in distance or it becomes impossible to go very fast.

10 miles on that track would be 10 laps. (0.7986 Miles per lap)

It would be nice to get clarification on the distance because the electric guys are talking about a rebellion if you don't.

Those that can pass on the word to the organizers please let them know the electric bikes need a fixed distance of 10 miles or less or they need to run in their own class. I'd prefer the first races to have the ICE and the electric to run head to head so that this sport begins unified, but beyond 10 miles and the electric bikes are effectively crippled. You need to make this limit.

Just a "heads up" to the sponsors... be smart and do this right and you will be the center of attention for motorized biking. It's a small concession to limit the race to ten laps to make it sporting for everyone.

Anything beyond 10 laps and the electric bikes will lose interest.

I know on my old bike that I simply cannot go more than 10 miles before I run out of energy (when at racing speeds) and I doubt any of the other electric bikes are much better at full speed. The math of these batteries gives you a choice of power or range and so in order to have some fun with the power you need to shorten the range.

There are the ePower events at Portland International Raceway where they do endurance racing with electric power, but it's dreadfully boring as they do time trials instead of true racing. They also limit battery energy rather than motor power, so the focus is on energy conservation rather than racing. (it's more of an academic sort of race than anything else to prove electric bike efficiency)

http://www.ohpv.org/HPC/page22/page21/page21.html

Anyway... I hope the sponsors somehow get the word and think about being fair and inclusive for the electric bikes.

Good Spirits

I like the spirit of the Death Race and the tracks and everything, but this issue of distance has the potential to divide the two camps. Let's not let that happen.

Last edited:
Heats, Sprint, Endurance

I'd probably set up the racing like this:

:D 10 Lap Heat races to establish starting position and more or less get everyone warmed up for the Sprint. (since I would guess there is room on the track for 20-30 racers)

:D 10 Lap Sprint event. (this will include ICE and electric bikes and is the Main event for electric bikes)

:D An Endurance "Death Race" that follows the Sprint to determine who can last the longest on the track and survive the most laps. This allows anyone that didn't win a trophy in the Sprint one last chance to win. Also, by placing this AFTER the Sprint it will require the racers to continue after they have already had an adrenaline dump in the Sprint. The one who survives the day wins.

Trophies go to 1-2-3 in the Sprint and the winner of the "Death Race".

You have to keep the "Death Race" theme and that means endurance over many laps. So by moving the Sprint before the "Death Race" it allows the electric bikes to get their racing in early and then the more important part of the racing for the ICE bikes is at the end.

This would make everyone happy I think.

In some ways the Heats and the Sprint are just warmups for the "Death Race".

It's possible that the ICE bikes will sweep all the trophies, but the electric bikes are certain to lose the "Death Race", so even if the electric sweeps the Sprint the ICE bikes are guaranteed to win in the final race of the day. ICE cannot lose with this setup.

We (electric guys) need to remember that the ICE guys pride themselves in being able to outlast, outdistance anything with their high mileage machines. The ICE racers need an area to win at which is different than electric which is the opposite and has limited range. By placing the electric favoring Sprint before the ICE racing "Death Race" the two can be integrated together. Most of the ICE racers will look forward to the "Death Race" as their main event and the electric will put everything into the 10 mile Sprint.

I used to own an MB5 and would go for long 200 mile rides on the weekends (for about $2 gas) and so I have some appreciation for these long distance events like the "Death Race". The ICE racers want a loooooooooong race !!!

:D The goal for ICE would be first place in the Sprint and to win the "Death Race" too.

:D The goal for electric would be to lock out ICE in the Sprint and surrender to the inevitable in the "Death Race".

Last edited:
Setting The Distance
For electric the race cannot exceed 10 miles in distance or it becomes impossible to go very fast.

Annnnd more garbage from Safe surprise surprise :devilish: just because you use ****e battery chemistry because you wont spring the $$$ for the new stuff and can't make it past 10 mile don't lump everyone else in the same category. 20 laps is doable without carrying excessive weight past that it starts to become a weight penalty for electrics, that said, the boys have enough Lithium Polymer to make it further WOT but simply need clarification, its not a 'race' with undefined distances. How can a person seriously set a bike up not knowing the distance they will be travelling?

KiM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back