MotoredBikes.com is Changing Servers

Discussion in 'Forum Help & Suggestions' started by Tom, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Tom

Tom Active Member

I have just received notice that we are sucking up too much resources on our current shared hosting account. I'm going to move the entire site to a different server sometime in the next week.

What this means to you:

The forum will be shut down for several hours either Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. I'll let you know the exact date/times as we get closer. Right now I am thinking it will be Tuesday, around 9am to 3pm PST

Everything should be back to normal at the end of the switch, but if you guys see funny stuff, POST IN THIS THREAD SO I AM AWARE OF ANY BUGS!

Thanks for understanding!

2. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Some people will have MB Forum withdrawals !

3. Tom

Tom Active Member

Still planning to get this done tomorrow afternoon. The forum should be shut down around 2:00PM PST, and hopefully will re-open by 6.

Because we are moving servers, some of your computers will still try to access the old site when visiting MotoredBikes.com. If this is the case, try resetting your internet connection or accessing the site from a computer that has never been to the site before.

4. Tom

Tom Active Member

Got a little delayed today, but planning to do the switch RIGHT NOW. Board will be shut down for a few hours starting in a few minutes. Finish up all your threads before I flip the switch!

5. Tom

Tom Active Member

I spent about 4 hours trying to move the site over, only to find out that my host is really the only one capable of moving this huge of a site.

I basically had to ask their support to move all the large files and the database over.

What this means to you:
    The support team will move the site over sometime in the next few days. They aren't great at keeping me in the loop, so I won't know exactly when.

Once they notify me that they have moved it or are in the process of moving it, I'll shut the forum down until the move is finalized.

This means that the site might be down for 24 hours. Hopefully it will be much less than that.

Also, depending on how well the support team keeps me updated, some of your recent posts or uploads may disappear. Only posts in the 24 hours leading up to the switch will be subject to disappearing.

Again, I'm pushing for as seamless of a transfer as possible, but just want to keep you guys in the loop as to what MIGHT happen.

6. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

Thank you Tom for going through all the hassles of keeping this place alive.
    I will be patiently pulling my hair out while site is shut down during the transfer by the support team. :D

7. Tom

Tom Active Member

I am going to try to get this done tomorrow. I will shut the board down early in the morning (~8:00AM), and hopefully have everything back up by the nighttime, (~8:00PM). So expect the board to be down for most of the day tomorrow.

8. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

***Sound of hair flying everywhere***

I thank you again for all of your effort. You have blessed us all with this awesome forum!

9. Tom

Tom Active Member

The forum should be back up for good now. We are on the new server. No thanks to Godaddy who did NOT help make the process smooth, taking over 24 hours to do something that should have taken minutes.

10. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

I'm just glad it's back.

Thanks, Tom, for all your hard work on this place.

11. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

Thank you Tom!
    Perhaps they should change their name to Stopdaddy?
    I am glad that everything is back up and running, I was going bald.

12. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Thanks from me also Tom

13. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

I have come to the conclusion most all host type places suck pretty bad.

Glad you are back on the air!!

14. Tom

Tom Active Member

I'm glad that nightmare is over too!