Motorising a ladies frame???

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Sianelle, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

Now here's a question for you wise gentlemen, - how would I go about successfully motorising a ladies framed bicycle with a Gen II 'Happy Time' type engine? I borrowed this image from a thread in the Picture Gallery because it nicely outlines the dilemia.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa276/Sianelleofavelorn/tn_ladiesbikewhowantsmotor-2.jpg

For religious reasons I started wearing long 'floor sweeper' skirts this year and while an ordinary ladies framed bicycle is just fine and dandy for me to ride while wearing a long skirt I can see a problem or two should I throw an engine into the mix. In the borrowed picture it's fairly plain that there's no room for the carburettor and while the engine is in a great position for keeping me warm on a cold Winter's day so long as I don't set my skirt on fire, it's not exactly very practical.
    I don't really want to put an engine on the rear carrier because I'd want to use that for carrying shopping & etc. And besides I don't like the idea of raising the C of G with a carrier mounted engine on any bicycle of mine. About the only option I can think of that would work would be to return to the past and employ the 'autowheel' solution which by all accounts was very successful.
    http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa276/Sianelleofavelorn/WallAutowheelDrawing-1.jpg
    After doing some messing about with a ruler with the bicycles in my bedroom I've determined that the rear frame portion of a gents bike (diamond frame) could be modified into an autowheel without too much difficulty. In fact I have a once lovely black enamelled and pinstriped Raleigh frame with a horrid bend in the top frame tube that would be just perfect to convert into an auto wheel. Something always stopped me from throwing the frame away and now I've found a use for it :grin:
    http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa276/Sianelleofavelorn/AutowheelHowTo.jpg

Please forgive the simplistic drawing, but it's late and it's time for me to go to bed. [​IMG]

2. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Another SIMPLE option would be to get a kit designed for a front wheel. Only thing, is that I don't know of any that use H.T. engines, so they would cost more [ unless used ] , but certainly be of better quality.

3. duivendyk

duivendyk Guest

When I visited Brisbane some years ago I came across motorized bikes with the motor unit hanging on the right rear wheel.Looked like a factory job,can't remember the make.Just the ticket for CG phobes.Any non-anorexic person raises the CG far,far more than a rear mounted engine would.You should reconsider,then you could go all the way and encase your person in a burka.Skirts can be subject subject to playful updrafts.My mother had heavy clip-on skirt attachments,then there are pantalettes.I ride around on a rear mounted Mitsubishi/NuVinci hub rig,pricey but good in hilly terrain.Works fine.I mounted a cut-down boy scout backpack on the side opposite the engine,and fashioned a front carrier from scrap materials.Looks like an Indiana Jones type rig,ready for the outback.Skirts and engines don't get along, period.I had a Morgan threewheeler in my student days,popular with the adventurous set,has a spur gear& exposed chain drive to the rear wheel.Tore off a good part of girfriend's best English tweed Gorray skirt,definite test for relationship.Best thing:look for another more pant-friendly religion.Hindou ladies got around in stylish extended pedal-pushers.

4. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

:shock: But to have your skirt eaten by a Morgan, - what a privilege!

Actually if a you've got a really well cut long skirt they don't lift while riding a bicycle; - and if they do a simple device made from fishing sinkers and a stout safety pin works wonders. Oh if was so simple as to change one's religion like trading a car for a different make, - but it's not. Which means that I still want to play too and I firmly believe that an intelligent woman should be able to devise herself a useful solution to both plain and modest dressing AND riding a motor-bicycle.
    This webpage is of interest btw. Daniel Rebour's drawings are fantastic....

http://www.blackbirdsf.org/rebour/1948.08-09.1.html

I am considering a front wheel drive bike, but something tells me I'll need to dust off the lathe to realise that ambition.
    The Rebour drawing in the top left corner is off particular interest to me....

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa276/Sianelleofavelorn/mopeddocuments1151.jpg

Just in case no-one has realised as yet, I am a woman of slender means, but I do have a good workshop and the council recycling depot isn't that far away. Buying anything involves much planning of budgets, but making things from scrap is free :grin:

5. duivendyk

duivendyk Guest

She certainly did not consider it a privilege,more a calamity and was much vexed.Just a bit too prissy for me I guess.My future wife was not averse to climbing on the back of a motorcycle (not in a skirt though) that's next to impossible.My mother had these heavy brass butterfly thingies she pinned on,quite pretty really, Holland is a rather windy place.
    If you can get your hands an old fashioned lady bicycle to work with, skirts would be no problem at all, apart from high aerodynamic drag.That #4 of the French drawings was a dead ringer for what I saw in Queensland.The old French Solex (front roller drive) was also quite skirt-friendly.Was quite popular,I don't know if it's still around,haven't been there in years

6. muddawg

muddawg Member

while still a jr poster
    id advise against the front engine deal
    and use a rear engine over the wheel and get a little trailer to haul whatever ya want

FWIW
    mike

7. duivendyk

duivendyk Guest

Any REASONED objections to a front engine setup?,they used to be quite popular in Europe until people could afford scooters and cars.The Solex used to be very popular,it worked fine and was very quiet.

8. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

9. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

Ah yes, - it's taking me a little while to dig around all the images I have archived, but I'm certain this picture will be of interest......

This is a Villiers engine fitted to a Mongoose bicycle (not mine). It's not the best of conversion jobs and no doubt they used what they had lying around. However the basics are there and I'm sure I could make a much more tidy job of it. I do have one of these engines complete with the original petrol tank and the stainless steel drive sprocket too, -which is actually from an exercycle.
    The exhaust needs work and should be a long downward pointing pipe devised to spit petroil goop towards the gutter via a neat outward turn at the end. I am going to build this around my re-framed Rudge because at least then I won't have to worry about fork failure. Rudges do not break their front forks, - ever.
    They've mounted their engine much too high on that Mongoose. Look at that delightful French 1922 Labinal Micromoteur in my earlier posting. The engine sits very neatly low over the wheel and it doesn't look like the bicycle is hiding behind it as does the Mongoose conversion.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa276/Sianelleofavelorn/Villiers1.jpg

Oh well, nothing for it I suppose, - I'll just have to go out to my workshop and make a start on it. Wish me luck :grin:

10. duivendyk

duivendyk Guest

The Solex has survived but not in La France,quelle horreur !,check out www.veracruz.com,costs a small fortune too, more than a kilobuck.My first creation,a fishmongers 80 cc JLO engine mounted on the rear of one of those indestructible? Dutch bikes plunged me and bike into a canal,broken fork,what's unlikely is not impossible.I never knew Villiers made those kind of engines.

11. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

That species of Villiers engine is most commonly found on vintage power mowers, but it is a very good wee motor and they just plain don't wear out.
    Solex mopeds do turn up for sale around here from time to time, but are often severely distressed and neglected unfortunately. Any Solex when they do turn up in good all around condition tend to be pricey though and are out of my price range.
    Now you're going to have to tell more about that Dutch bike/JLO mix and how you ended up in that canal. You can't make a mention in passing like that one and expect to get away with it.

Um..... that link doesn't seem to be working :confused:

12. BSA

BSA Guest

What about a good old cyclemaster, or winged wheel.

BSA

13. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

I have lusted after a Winged Wheel for years, but they are always waaaaaay beyond my budget when they do turn up for sale unfortunately.

14. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Those " Winged QWheel " etc., are nice,,, but $$$$$$$$$. How about one of these,
    http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pattle/nacc/arc0394.htm

They were a pretty dependable design. I like the latter motors the best, because of a clutch. The guy , Mike Schneider, at the bottom sells them new old stock, or restored.

15. muddawg

muddawg Member

well leeches, slavery and wearing lead makeup used to be quite popular too

personally id rather have the heat and exhaust behind me
    the added weight to the steering could be an issue
    and if it locks up yer gonna flip

i just wanted to mention the trailer idea so shed have a complete view of her options

like i said im just a newbie...do wut ya wanna do

mike

16. duivendyk

duivendyk Guest

Sorry about that slipup the site is www.velocruz.com Veracruz is a city in Mexico.How I ended up in that canal,Holland is full of canals with roads alongside (dangerous in the fog which is quite common).
    I was following a truck pulling a trailer.I did that a lot,drafting that is,much less wind resistance. My gearing was rather high, could not find the right size sprocket.With strong headwind you run out of torque.A large piece of wood must have fallen off the truck, at least, all of a sudden there it was bouncing around on the road,I must have veered to the right but hit it hard anyway and went flying off to into the canal at 30 mph.Took awhile to get out,had to swim to a boat.Chilly experience,not recommended in late autumn in Holland.

17. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

Thankyou for your input Mike. I had actually considered a trailer before now and I will most probably end up building one as my electric assisted utility tricycle is fairly limited with what it can carry.
    As to the front mounted motor question I do take your point about having all the heat, noise and smell right under your nose. The steering will be more heavy too as you say and there is the exciting possibility of being tossed head over heels should anything suddenly and dramatically go wrong with the mechanicals. However despite this I would like to try out this method as I do have everything needed to build such a motor-bicycle right to hand as it were. If it doesn't function as I want it to all parts can be simply be returned to the parts pile in my workshop and I'll start again.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa276/Sianelleofavelorn/FrenchRocketBike.jpg
    :shock:

Oh my word! And I suppose you also had to suffer the indignity of losing your bicycle as well. Thanks for sharing though :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2008
  18. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

19. duivendyk

duivendyk Guest

If it had not been for inept,disoriented Canadian Ventura bombers,who were trying to bomb V2 launching sites at the outskirts of the Hague in the spring of '45,I would have been riding a 350cc BSA motor bike in relative splendor, instead of that rickety JLO affair.I and a buddy had been scrounging around in junkyards for years,looking for salvageable parts(that's where the JLO engine came from too.We managed to cobble two rideable BSA's together, except for one tire.The Canadians bombed a residential quarter instead of the woods where the V2's were hiding in.The whole area just about burned to the ground and the shed with the bikes in it had taken a direct hit.I hated the Canadians about as much as the Krauts,they had confiscated my bicycle,I took to rollerskates (very little traffic anyway)

20. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

Ooooooo I feel your pain. I had a Matchless 350 when I was younger and I never should have sold that bike (sniff).