motorized biker in maine.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by pbeggs, Jun 12, 2010.

1. pbeggs

pbeggs Member

my name is paul im new here but have been motorizing bikes since 2000.
    my current project is a 1960's beach crusier bike with a 80cc "raw" frame mounted engine and a homebuilt jackshaft kit
    this is my third build my fist kit was an island hopper friction drive unit ,.. on that i have about 2000 miles,..
    after pedaling home in the rain a few too many times i decided to do a chain drive bike and got a angelwings 50cc bike ,..two rear wheels later i started working on a jackshaft. currently im in the final stages of building my second jackshaft prototype (test drive monday? waiting on the wheels!)

the bike,... typical murray beach crusier mid 1960's i think
    ebay special was barely used and stored for decades,..

RAW 80cc motor with pull start,..

jackshaft 3/4 inch shaft,.. engine side 30 tooth sprocket on sick bike parts freewheel and freewheel adapter (modified for 3/4 shaft pedal side 36 tooth sprocket to a 16 tooth freewheel,.. inboard of pedal freewheel 13 tooth fixed gear (both mounted on a threaded adapter)

the 13 tooth fixed gear sends power of pedals and engine to a 8 speed sturmey archer internal gear hub with drum brake (25 tooth cog)

the jackshaft and gears work out to in first gear to be like a 60 tooth sprocket,.. in top gear (8th on hub) it is like a 20 tooth sproket mounted on the rearwheel i should have very good hill climb and high speed

anyone needing help with figuring gears out, my mechaninical drafting degree,.. and the two years i spent in engineering school make me very good at it,...:D

front wheel matching sturmey archer drum brake ,...

lights (dual engine powered) (white wire) with a small 6 volt battery being charged by a rectifier & regulator circut.

2. professor

professor Active Member

Hi Paul, welcome to Motoredbikes!