Motorized Bikes VS Mopeds

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by boyntonstu, Jan 16, 2015.

1. boyntonstu

boyntonstu Member

2. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Mopeds are cool as heck, but different animals, apples and oranges. Mopeds are designed factory built to be mopeds from the gitgo. My 2 cents.

3. troyg

troyg Member

They're still being built in India, Tomos copies, and pretty neat.The two things that keep me from buying them, pedaling is for starting only (in practical use), and changing tires is a nightmare, may as well have a motorcycle.

4. Ollie

Ollie Member

I agree with the video narrator; the main reason I have a motorized bicycle is because of it's legal status. Here in Brazil I can have a 50cc motorcycle and not need a plate or license, but you get stopped at police checkpoints and asked for your documents because you look like a normal motorbike/scooter.

I've been through 2 checkpoints on my 50cc motorbike; the first time they checked my documents (the receipt and my ID) and let me go after confirming it was 50cc, but the second time they threatened me with made-up laws when they realised I was a gringo. It's not uncommon here for police to plant drugs on people that defy them, so I paid the 'fine'.

I've also been through 2 checkpoints on my motorized bicycle, but haven't been stopped. I don't ride the motorcycle much anymore, I get too stressed about being extorted again. The MAB is so obviously not a proper motorcycle that they don't stop me, don't find out I'm a foreigner and don't rob me, which is nice.

5. dougsr.874

dougsr.874 Active Member

A motorized bicycle is a moped...don't believe me? just ask the State of Florida

6. boyntonstu

boyntonstu Member

If you call the tail of a dog a 'leg', how many legs does the dog have?

7. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

After 8 years and a million posts on FLs mab laws I don't believe anything as what's correct. FL posters on that subject are nutz!

8. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Motorized bicycles, in my opinion, have a lot of advantages in most states. However, in states like New York, gas assisted bicycles are illegal, but you can register and ride a 70s styled moped (with pedals). Riding a Tomos Arrow is not a bad way to get around.
    [​IMG]

9. professor

professor Active Member

My motored bike (212cc) is functionally a moped (really like a mini 3 speed motorcycle), but looks like a motoredbike because I purposely put the gastank behind the seat to retain a bike look and it has a bicycle frame (reinforced/ gusseted).

Besides that, I can pedal up to about 10mph- which you can't do on a moped, they go real slow.
    I have no doubt a real moped would require less messing with but you take the good with the bad.

10. Timbone

Timbone Active Member

I always thought (I am 53 now) that a "Moped" was, essentially, a "Motorized Bicycle". Hence the "Mo (motor) + ped (pedal). If it has two wheels and can only move via engine power then it is a "motorcycle". The step through lightly powered motorbikes we see today have come to be called "scooters"but they are really just "motorcycles" as they cannot be pedaled.

The world is not a fan of bicycles and I am afraid that it has little love for the moped/motorized bicycle.

11. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

MO(tor) PED(al)

nuff said. motorised bicycle is moped.

i found one of these one the side of the road... (dumped!)

cept mine has more fairings and pillion pegs/seat...

451611711.jpg