Motorized Mahattan Trike Anyone?

CroMagnum

Local time
5:55 PM
Anyone here ever try and motorize a Manhattan trike? Manhattan Trike

I've never dealt with one, but my uncle has a like-new 3-speed Manhattan trike that he rode maybe twice and then parked it in his garage. And now he wants it out to make room for other stuff. So that means I get a $700 trike for free. :D

I was thinking of building an MB out of a Walmart cheapo Schwinn Meridian, but this is free. Oh, did I mention I'm getting it for free? :devilish:

It appears to be better quality than the Schwinn. I'm not sure if I like the 24" wheels over the 26", but hey, it's free. :devilish:

I've got a standard Huasheng 4-stroke kit I was thinking of mounting down in the frame. What are you guys using for sprocket mounts on the rear axle? GoKart parts? Anyone every use a SBP shift kit on a trike like this?

My major concern would be the aluminum frame. After that, I'd ask - is it single wheel driven or do both rear wheels drive? Also, coaster brakes on the rear are kind of dodgy for a powered rig.

The price is certainly right. Depending on the geometry (spread) of the rear stays, you may be able to mount the engine directly behind the seat post, the a jack shaft and primary power loop to a Sick Bike Parts secondary crank sprocket to feed the power through the pedal chain loop is workable.

High seated delta trikes are squirrelly at speed, especially in turns.

Back