Motorized Pedalcycles not titled in Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Laws, Legislation & Emissions' started by buck, Jun 18, 2008.

1. buck

buck Member

I was talking with a fellow motorbiker yesterday about the legality of motor assisted bicycles on the highways in Pennsylvania. We were talking about the many people would like to ride a motor assisted bicycle for various reasons, but are unsure of the legal status in Pennsylvania. He gave me a copy of the Pennsylvania Fact Sheet from the Bureau of Motor Vehicles, of which he always carries a copy with his motored bike. He is using a Happy Time motor on a Schwinn cruiser bicycle. On nice weather days he rides his bike everywhere, including riding to work at the local college. He has never been stopped on his bike, and the Police just "smile and wave: when he drives bye. Maybe this will be the answer for the people in Pennsylvania. I have posted a copy for everyone to share. Thanks / Buck

2. buck

buck Member

Here is the "Fact Sheet"
    Look at the end of the 2nd page

Note: Motorized pedalcycles and side-cars are not titled in the Commonwealth of
    Pennsylvania.

I see that we have a green light for side-cars on our bicycles too!

View attachment Bureau of Motor Vehicles Fact Sheet.pdf
    Thanks / Buck

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  3. eljefino

eljefino Member

The way I read it it just clarifies that a sidecar doesn't need a title. Up here a trailer with GVW under 3000 lbs doesn't need a title; so a sidecar kind of counts as a trailer. Our title laws seem to be written so that anything of value gets a title... exempting cars over 15 years old etc. Mopeds go untitled up here.

We've got bugs up our buts about any axle touching ground needing a license plate, as a way to pay for keeping the roads up. So if one tows a junk car on a dolly, it needs a plate, but if one uses a car trailer, the car trailer axles and plate assigned to them count.

Regardless I think you can get away with a sidecar anyway. :)

4. eljefino

eljefino Member

The way I read it it just clarifies that a sidecar doesn't need a title. Up here a trailer with GVW under 3000 lbs doesn't need a title; so a sidecar kind of counts as a trailer. Our title laws seem to be written so that anything of value gets a title... exempting cars over 15 years old etc. Mopeds go untitled up here.

We've got bugs up our buts about any axle touching ground needing a license plate, as a way to pay for keeping the roads up. So if one tows a junk car on a dolly, it needs a plate, but if one uses a car trailer, the car trailer axles and plate assigned to them count.

Regardless I think you can get away with a sidecar anyway. :)