Motorized Recumbent

best make that 4 bent riders. i made two more than two years ago. unfortunately, i didn't like the way they turned out. for the past week i've been rescue ing old street bikes and mountain bikes. i have four in the shed right now. this weekend i plan on building a LWB Delta trike. or at least getting started on it. plans in my head, ideas all over the internet. look at some of the bikes on http://www.endless-sphere.com and http://revelstone56.tripod.com/index.html
just for fun

welcome #4...hehe

can't wait to see your trike!

Hi, Dave
Thanks! Yes, the 'clutch' lifts the spindle off the tire. I got the design idea from revelstone who has just joined us recently.
Revelstone has some VERY nice work that's worth looking at. He appears to have recently updated his web site with some GREAT pictures and info:

http://revelstone56.tripod.com/index.html

Thanks again!

Steve G
Grants Pass, Oregon

hi guys.... thought I'd jump right in here.....
I like friction drive....I have 2 bikes ,set up friction....one Staton...one homebuilt. I have not had any tire issues.

I have a bikeE.
It rides soooo comfy!
I want to motorize it....bad!
(I just don't want to mess up this cool bike)

there must be 3 of us bent riders now...hehehe.
I'm not seeing any resistance to a recumbent section. (Our admins are on vacation.)

this thread is a good place to start.
you guys can talk me into motoring up my bent.

The kit that goes on the BIKE E I got does no modifications to the Bike. It bolts right on to the bike as is. Brake adjustment on the rears is tight but other then that its pretty simple to install. I do get some tire wear but I use those trick real rubber tires and get a season out of the rear. His system stays pretty cool. The all weather roller will wear a tire faster but... thats why it works. Good tires last a decent amount of time, it will eat a cheap buytle one, needs to be real rubber. Glad you use friction, they are so much safer then the others in my opinion. No belts, spokes, or chains to break. They may not be as fast in stock form but heck 40 MPH on my BIKE E is fast enough for me.

hey PumpBuilder...did you ever get pics of your bikeE ?

Just the little one here on the post sig. I will take some more current ones with the orange tire etc one of these days. Wish I had the full suspension one like yours, had one, sold it, then BIKE went out of business and really had to scramble to find this one with the USA, [non plastic.] seat. So now I ride hard tail. My suspension one like your's had a 39CC Italion motor that I was clocked in Utah doing 59 MPH. Yes I was pedeling my *** off as well but I was keeping up with the traffic and the guys on the Harleys I was cruising with loved it. Speed limit was 60 so no ticket but a couple of really curious cops did pull me over.

59 !?!?!?! WOW. anyway in utah is 30 on these things. i get really nervous at 25. but that's cool. to each his own. i was wondering where in utah, then noticed your somewhere in texas. i'm still in utah and no complaints. this is home. (immagrant from upstate new york, farmboy)

I was close to you actually, I was on the I-15 frontage road by the AFB in Ogden that day. I think they did not have that rule then, was in 98 I think. I do go slower now, hit a turnbuckle on the sholder of a US highway in LA 1 day out of New Orleans when we were doing a MB ride from NO to Miami. Was doing about 35-40 popping from sun to shade didn't see it and went right over the handle bar when the front wheel snapped to a hard turn, was glad I had on good gloves with rubber palms as those stopped me from sliding. Ouch.

You can really get going fast on one of those Bike E's.

108_IMG_0087_1.jpg

make that 5. here is my commuter. It's a belt drive though. hope i can fit in.

number 5 is Alive!!!!

that's cool stick. you can be # 5. the only requirement is that you know what someone means when they say "Get Bent" :D and you don't take it as an insult. nice ride by the way. :cool:

Back