Motorized Recumbent

seabillco,
the reflection is reflective tape on the bag that's under the seat.

the rear wheel is 26".

the gebe is great. i've had it on this bike for almost 2 years and have only had to clean the air filter and carbon out of the exhaust. have yet to break a belt on the thing (knock knock).

the pod is actually the fairing and it may help some but mostly i got it for riding in the winter to keep some of te cold off of me. in the summer it keeps bees out of my shorts. i got it from zziper wind fairings. i know that they make them for the rans. i hope to get one for my rans fusion in the near future.

the bike looks alot different now though. in the summer i roll with a cooler from target on one side and use an A.L.I.C.E. pack on the other from the surplus store. m fuel tank cracked and i got a tank from a c 50 dirt bike and attached it to the cross bracket on the seat.
yes i do ride alot. last year i put a little more than 4000 miles on it and will probably get something like 7000 this year.

thanks for all of the nice comments every one else gave.

hive, i loved your burley, did you get rid of it?

here is a pic from last winter on the first real snow of the year.

Attachments

• IMG_0170.jpg
    IMG_0170.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 406
I have a lot of flashers going whenever I ride, day or night and "knock knock" been doing the recumbent thing for years, city, country, etc. To me the important part is to keep up with the traffic and that will mean pedaling with motor at speeds over 30 or in the really bad areas I have disengaged the engine and just pedaled since this type has no drag on the bike when not in use. Just the extra 10 or so lb's of weight.

I have alway been a little wary of fairings only because of cross winds. Anyone tell me how that works?

If your children ride Bike E's put small cc engines on them cause they can go fast. Glad this posting is growing.

Doug

Now the poster who has been having folks run over others....in large #'s Yikes I am glad I'm not there.

Last edited:
It gets very windy here. I don't have any additional problem with cross winds (beyond what I would have wihtout the fairing. However, being on 3-wheels and very close to the ground might help.

Man.... I shoulda motored this up, years ago!!
Picture 012.jpg

I forgot just how comfortable this bike really is!!
26mph on the flat.

Thanks guys!
:D

Did you have to limit the rear suspension to wedge that engine in there? Crazy me, I can imagine hanging a motor like the one one my trike on that bike.

Did you have to limit the rear suspension to wedge that engine in there?

no...thankfully, I didn't have to give up any suspension.

Crazy me, I can imagine hanging a motor like the one one my trike on that bike.

Crazy, like a fox!! I'm daydreaming about a homebuilt 'bent, with a larger engine, behind the seat. (that's all I need...another unfinished project! :rolleyes: )

I tried the recumbent route. Too hilly around here to say the bike is practical and city driving I thought was too dangerous.

the largest hills around town are man-made, railroad overpasses.
and the last couple of days riding, I've noticed all eyes are on me. (even the driver of the SUV, who pulled out in front of me, was looking right at me! :eek: ) :LOL:

Yeah Dave, I often watch people totally disregard other traffic etc, while staring at my ride. Living in a small town, I often hear these same people express concern for my safety because they worry people won't see me. I'd feel safer if they would ignore me and pay attention to their driving.

My NEW favourite bike!!

8.9.08 013.jpg
128 mpg...still grinning!!:D

I told yall I was from Kansas...
8.9.08 010.jpg
no shortage of sunflowers...

8.9.08 011.jpg
or pickup trucks!!

Bent vs CF

Took a spin on a Rans Fusion, finally.

It is almost a bent, but not quite. It is not quite as difficult to get going on it, but it is not as easy as a MTB.

It will certainly climb well, however.

In a word,it is like a bent without the shortcomings and not quite as comfy, but always trade-offs.

Adding a GEBE might prove interesting, as we have seen (see DougC's informative material on this application at http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=3801&highlight=Fusion).

A Rans Fusion is a spendy machine, so adding a motor requires some thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hive,

what is your opinion of the Fusion's ruggedness ? does this bike have enough mass and construction to use as a full time powered commuter ?

i have been very interested in this bike to power with a Staton inside drive and the GP460. just saw the other thread by DougC and now have concerns.

thanks,
steve

Back