Motorized Tour Bike #3

Discussion in 'Travelling, Commuting & Safety' started by Slackbiker, May 21, 2010.

1. Slackbiker

Slackbiker Member

Here are some photos of my third summer tour bike and some early tour photos:

Attached Files:

2. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Well done! and beautiful country you've got to tour in.
    I'm envious, post some updates when you get a chance please.

3. Slackbiker

Slackbiker Member

Sometimes I travel in the national forests as in the photos of the Jemez Mountains (do a google image search of "Jemez Mountains" for far more scenic photos). Sometimes I use mass transit, or do town crashes of "cool towns" like Santa Fe as in these photos:
    (I've been covering my motor a lot this year, have had plenty of curiousity seekers in the past, and that's cool, but I've come to realize that almost none of the hundreds of people who have expressed interest are really going to get an MB (or a bike, or ride buses, or scooters, or motorcycles, or hike or anything but their car)

Attached Files:

4. Yoda Bob

Yoda Bob Member

Nice pics and beautiful country! I was half-expecting an elk herd to appear in the frame every time I clicked a new image.

Have you seen many wild critters on your tour?

Yoda

5. Happy Valley

Cool, love the idea of using mass transit to cover the distances between places. I've thought some on building a folding bike with somewhat the same idea, put it in the cargo bay and ride away when I get there.

And yeah, unfortunately I have to agree with you on that assessment of car users, we are in a micro niche. No matter, I keep my own council and also keep on grinning. :D

6. fm2200

fm2200 Member

Here in New York I have only heard of one guy getting an mb, not saying I'm the reason. I've had many ask questions but not much else. I have only been riding one since Sept 08, but I don't see this as a growing thing here. There is this guy I know that has 11 Harley's and counting, and he say's he wants one. I feel that if the numbers stay low, I will be off the radar which is where I want to be.

7. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Slackbiker, I'm jealous. Really, really jealous. One of my most memorable tours in recent years was based out of Taos, and I spent three days cruising the mountain roads north of town - incredibly beautiful country. Angelfire has to be just about the most gloriously beautiful alpine valleys I've ever seen, and I've been in the Alps, the southern alps in NZ, the Himalayas, and the southern Andes.

Just wish I could do it on an MB - but taking a trike up those twisty, narrow roads would be an invitation to some convertible cruiser to turn me into a hood ornament.

Don't know if you have been to the Grand Mesa Scenic Byway, but it is also unbelievably pretty. The road down from the Lands End Observatory on the mesa edge is a fantastic troute. One thing - if you want to do that route, have good tires for gravel, as it is almost entirely gravel.

8. Slackbiker

Slackbiker Member

I've been on twistier roads than the stunning road from Angel Fire to Mora (which i did with a car); with my MB, such as the road to the Gila Cliff dwellings, and have gone >40 miles at a stretch on Forest roads such as to the Rainbow Gathering in the Wind River Wilderness of Wyoming.
    I saw a bear on a forest road in the Jemez, and the usual: coyotes, deer, roadrunners....... I saw a road killed owl yesterday, very odd.
    There seems to be a disconnect between the wildly enthusiastic facination with my rig (and originally I thought i might take some grief for it), and the fact the MB's will always be a micro-niche.

Attached Files:

9. Slackbiker

Slackbiker Member

Perfect weather in Durango, one of my favorite "cool towns".

Attached Files:

10. augidog

augidog Banned

great pics! i thought i saw you mentioning other riders MB'ing to some great places...oh boo hoo for you and the "boring" southwest...beautiful scenes...looks like you've got some great riding down your way too!! i want me some of that someday :cool:

11. Slackbiker

Slackbiker Member

The continental U.S. even the Rockies is a little less wild than alaska, though you could find extreme conditions pretty quickly; i've been taking it easy though, especially weather wise. Last year i talked to a guy on the plaza in Las Vegas, NM who was MB'ing, but his wife and rigs were out at a house they were visiting, so i haven't seen another touring MB'er in 3 years. Sounds like a few might be in Alaska.

Attached Files:

12. Slackbiker

Slackbiker Member

The photos above are: street fair in Durango, town park fair in Cortez, a couple photos of southern Utah, camping near diamond fork hot spring, Sun Valley, Stanley, Idaho.
    I'm not big on photos, especially mine, there are much better photos out there, like the miles of scenery near Moab for example.

13. Happy Valley

Sweet pics. Some of my best memories are travels off the beaten track in that part of the country, it's been too long so I appreciate the updates.

One thing ya gotta like, a whole lot dryer there than in AK. :grin5:

Any issues with the Robin at altitude?

14. 2Fat2Pedal

2Fat2Pedal New Member

Thanks for the pics Slack. I noticed a Hennessey Hammock on one of your pics. I've probably spent 50+ nights in one over the past few years. Great alternative to a tent. I smashed my shoulder in March on the Slickrock Trail in Moab Mt biking. Just now getting back on bikes (barely).

Happy motoring

15. Slackbiker

Slackbiker Member

Thanx for the replies. Yes I really enjoy a Hennessey Hammock, but it wouldn't be great for extended periods of bad weather (which i haven't experienced this trip); it would seem very cosy. My Robin has very little trouble at altitude, sometimes doesn't feel as "powerful".

16. Slackbiker

Slackbiker Member

Central Idaho is my main destination for this summer, so i've just been hanging out in Stanley, or going over Galena Pass to Ketchum-Hailey-Bellevue. July kinda sucks in most places, but there are very few bugs here, no Monsoons, little rain, Temps in the upper 70's, and lots of live music and other events. Here's a pic from Redfish Lake; doing a google image search for "Redfish Lake Bikini" will give a better idea of what it's like.

Attached Files:

17. Slackbiker

Slackbiker Member

It was a dark and stormy day... I am mainly returning the way i came, from central idaho to New Mexico through Salt Lake and Moab. It was a nasty looking day going over Soldiers Summit, so it was about 60 miles from Diamond Fork Hot spring to Price, Utah. Here's a photo from Helper, Utah:

Attached Files:

18. bonzelite

bonzelite New Member

That's a stunning vista, the Redfish Lake one. I can see you really enjoy yourself and that's coming through in the pics. Makes me want to get out there. Thanks for sharing your journeys.

19. Slackbiker

Slackbiker Member

Thanx for the feedback, Stanley Idaho has lots of nice vistas

20. rawly old

rawly old Member

Old school rigid mb

Slack,
    Your choice for a tourer is the same as mine. With a rigid there's
    just a whole lot less to go wrong than on full suspension bike. They
    are rugged and a lot simpler to deal with. The same goes for the
    friction drive. They hold up better in the long haul, and one can feel
    a bit more confident going off-road.
    My question is do you get hassled by smoky, and if so in what
    state, under what circumstances? 'Til now I've kept pretty much to forest
    service, logging, and otherwise low traffic byways.(more fun that way
    anyhow) The thing is, this summer i'm planning to ride a couple
    thousand miles thru a lotta unfamiliar territory paralleling the 'Ride the
    Divide' race rte. from the Canadian border in Montana to the Mexican
    border in New Mexico. I know all the back roads in CO & WYO, but if
    there's anyone out there that can give me the scoop on MT,ID, & NM
    I'd greatly appreciate your feedback.

P.S. I like the black cover over the motor in the one photo. I do the
    same thing when parked or peddling a stretch of busy highway.