Motorized Tridon Pro!

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by JFK, Mar 31, 2010.

1. JFK

JFK New Member

I found a triton Pro on craigslist and figured I would mod it up.

Bought a Harbor frieght motor and some bearing and chain,

Here are the results,

Incredibly fun almost flipped it several times, going to buy a larger friction drive to take it to the limit!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010

2. vegaspaddy

vegaspaddy Member

WOW WILD.......

thats alot of engine between your legs...... eeeeeeeeee i shudder to think !!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. chefdouglas

chefdouglas Member

Looks like fun. Where did you get the clutch to fit the HF motor ? It looks to be a friction drive? I have wanted to use a HF motor but have been unsure about how to put the drive together. What are you doing for a throttle? Any info on your setup would be appreciated.
    Are you happy with the HF motor?
  4. JFK

JFK New Member

Yeah vegaspaddy this bike is kind of scary, I fear nothing good is going to come of it :(

chefdouglas the clutch is just a 5/8 Hilliard Extreme Duty Centrifugal Clutch
    with a "B" Type Sprocket for #40/41 Chain, 5/8" Bore, 12 Tooth and two 5/8 pillow bearings. I just bolted them right to the forks threw in a friction drive.

I haven't done anything with the throttle yet because I'm still testing this out. But my plan is to simply bolt a rod to the gas tank flange that I would just pull or push, but really its not difficult with my set up to just grab the throttle. and I believe the more simple the better.
  5. chefdouglas

chefdouglas Member

Thank you I really appreciate the info! Did you get the clutch etc from HF? I'd like to copy cat your drive set up on a tandem.
  6. JFK

JFK New Member

Not sure if links are O.K. here but I got them at
  7. chefdouglas

chefdouglas Member

Thank you! You have made my life so much easier. I have been thinking about a HF motor for a while but didn't know what pieces I would need to get a drive system for it. Now I need a sale to go with my 20% coupon.
  8. gnflyby

gnflyby Member

My thoughts exactly. :ee2k:
  9. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Must be cool to feel that motor vibrating between your knees. Great idea.
  10. JFK

JFK New Member

This was a pretty fun project but I wouldn't recommend this set-up.

Being a rear wheel steering it's like driving a fast fork lift, but with the unstableness of a delta trike.

The only plus was on dirt it felt like you were "Drifting" even at the slowest speeds

I think I'm going to tear this bike apart and use the motor on another trike and give that bike two motors and what that will do.
  11. vegaspaddy

vegaspaddy Member

BUT you always remember the first crazy ride !!!!!!!!.... and then after staring at it for a while its like OH MY GOD what was i thinking...

Thats why we do it, and now for your next fun ride !!!!!!!!!
  12. JFK

JFK New Member

Yeah I agree with you 100% Vegaspaddy, and it was also a heck of a learning experience.

And best of all I took it apart before I killed myself :)