motorizing

izquierdo4

Local time
3:00 PM
Was debating between a scooter & a motored bike. I've had plenty of bikes throughout my life, I like them & from what I've thus far read here, a motored bike seems to be the way to go. I presently own a Fuji 21-speed hybrid which is my commuter, but am thinking about getting a Bare-Naked Flying Pigeon from joe-bike.com & coupling it up with the Golden Eagle 35cc Robin/Subaru. I'm 54 years young & the hills get me !! Will keep you guys informed

bare naked pigeon

THe Idea of a flying pigeon is a thought, but I like to has some gears to fall back on, just in chase. Just yesterday I dropped a drive chain and had to peddle three miles home.

I use a converted mountain bike that only has eight gears left and yet it seems to work for me. My low gear is almost one to one and my high gear is a 34-11 or eighty three gear inches. Last time I looked at a Pigeon it was geared pretty high. Also I think the brakes on a Pigeon are not up to the power your little motor can generate (1.2 vs. .3)

I think your best bet is to find a used mountain bike and strip it down to the essentials.

Just a thought.

Mike Frye the bike guy.

Welcome.

My first MB is a Schwinn Jaguar/Robin/Staton friction drive. It is a recreational bike with rim brakes and seven speed gears. If you put a GEBE-Robin 35 on it the only change you will need to make is a heavier duty rear wheel, available from GEBE. It is a solid, well made but inexpensive bike that I have been using motorized for 5 years with no problems. The seven speed rear gear cassette will allow you to assist the engine on hills and starting. My latest bike is a 21 speed mountain bike with a GEBE/Robin drive. The 21 speeds are overkill on a MB, IMO.

motorized

Thank you for the info motorbikemike45. Definite stuff to give thought to & follow

Last edited:
The flying pigeon is offered with gears & comes with updated brakes through the place I'm looking at. I'll give thought to the mountain bike. Thank you Mike

Back