Mountain Bike with Harbor Freight and Q-matic

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by EZMJon, Jan 20, 2013.

1. EZMJon

EZMJon Member

So I came across a bike, on craigslist, that looked almost to good to be true. It was a triangle frame mountain bike. Looked to be in good condition, and the guy was only asking 40 bucks. Well, I have been looking for a good bike to put my HF 79cc Predator engine onto, and it wasn't too expensive. So I sent the guy an email, offering $20 thinking he would for sure come back with $35 and I could end up getting it for about $30 after some negotiating. To my surprise he accepted the $20 and we arranged a day to meet up.

I kept thinking, "Man, the wheels are worth $20 bucks, I bet the bikes beat to heck." But the bike was SPOTLESS. Just a small tear in the seat. The bike itself is steel, but made with Very small tubing. You can almost pick it up with one finger, it weighs NOTHING. I got my bike for $20 and the motor for $100, so I'm only $120 into my bike so far. Looks like I can get it all together for less than $500. Need to get some thorn proof tubes, lights, replace the handle bars and seat, as well as buy myself a Q-matic.

I think I will try the Q-matic for a while, then switch to the New Pace Setter drive we are manufacturing now, to see what kind of speed/power I can get. I'm also playing with the idea of going to a belt drive. I want this bike to be all about ONE thing, SPEED. So I'll be playing with it a lot until I'm tuned in right. Kinda funny, I never thought I would put a motor on a mountain bike. I've always been a fan of the "cruiser" look, but I'm really excited about this one. I'm going to say 45mph no problem, and I'm going to hope for 55mph + haha.

Let me Know what you guys think! FYI, the breather on that Harbor Freight..... a Tuna can haha!

Attached Files:

2. grinningremlin

grinningremlin Active Member

Watch your components on the bike, Roadmasters are cheap in that area.How much does that 79cc weigh?
  3. Samdallas214

Samdallas214 Member

If it was me I go with Kevlar tires , I got a set and what a difference they make haven't had a flat scene.
    When you do change the tires check the rim tape road master rim tape is not the best. If it was me I would replace the rim tape even if it looks fine.
  4. EZMJon

EZMJon Member

Im not sure the exact weight, but heavier than my HuaShang motor. The HuaShang is about 10lbs. Should I weld some supports in the frame?
  5. EZMJon

EZMJon Member

I definitely plan on changing the tubes and the tires. I even thought about using 12 gauge spokes. I will change the rim tape as well, thanks for the advice!
  6. Tanstaafl

Tanstaafl Member

Good catch on a nice bike.