Sprockets Mounting A HT Sprocket Onto A Front Wheel

5-7HEAVEN

Has anyone mounted a Happy Time sprocket onto the front wheel? It's for a Raleigh 7-speed cruiser.

I have a dual-engined bike named "Mr. Hyde" and I want to run chain drive on front and rear wheels.

Thanks for your help.

You would have to mount the engine above the front wheel if you did that.... otherwise it would be impossible to turn!

On Most bikes the front wheel is not as wide as the rear wheel. I have seen a bicycle where the front wheel had a set of sprockets on it, just like the back (no chain going to them through). I asked him about it and he said his front and rear wheels each have sprockets in case you want to swap out the wheels and change your gear ratio.

If you had a bike where your front and rear wheel were the same size it would be cool to put different sprocket ratios on each wheel so you could swap them out on the fly.

I don't see why it'd be impossible to turn if the engine was mounted in front or beside the sprocket. Can you explain?

Actually both sprockets will be different but not interchangeable. The front sprocket will be 44-tooth, then to a 5:1 gearbox.. With 10-tooth jacksprocket, final ratio is 22:1. With 11-tooth jackshaft sprocket, ratio is 18.33:1.

Rear sprocket is 16-tooth connected to another 16t sprocket on Staton gearbox, for final drive of 18.75:1.

what he means (I think, correct me if im wrong) is if you have the engine mounted in the frame and have a chain running to the front wheel, when you turn the wheel one way, the tire will rub and it wont work hardly at all. if you turn it the other way, it will try to bend the chain and will come off the sprocket. If you mount it in front of, above, or beside the sprocket, it should work. as long as the engine is somehow attached to the front fork and will turn with the wheel, it should be fine. I hope this helps.

No Fit!

Well, the 44T sprocket doesn't fit my front wheel, The hub register is much smaller so the sprocket can't be centered. The coaster brake hub would be a tight fit on the front fork, and the front disc brake hub and sprocket adaptor would probably fit. Or maybe a custom sprocket with a smaller hub register bolted onto the spokes.

Heck, I'll stick with the front friction drive, spend a few bucks and fabricate the engine lift. The main reason for front chain drive was to reduce drag from the friction roller.

Back