Mounting engine on an AMERICAN Schwinn?

Rumblefish

Local time
2:59 AM
So I have a 1962 Schwinn Tiger. I quickly realized that the chinese engines might be designed for chinese made bikes!! The engine needa to be mounted high in the frame to clear the left crank arm so I have close to a 5'' gap between the frame and the mount. I was considering using some really long studs to make up the differance but that would be a really weak link! any sugestions would be greatly appreciated!!!::mad:

Try a wide crank assembly. They're not overly expensive. Several vendors sell them.

Last edited:
wide crank

Its quite easy to put an S bend in the old crank with a propane torch. Heat a spot and bend it out, then heat another spot and bend it back. Just a vise and a Bernzomatic torch. The chrome will still polish back up.

Huh ? If you bend the existing cranks, that will shorten the diameter of the original circular patter they traven in and you won't be able to put enough torque into them with you leg power to be able to peddle the bike !

I highly doubt that a propane torch would get the steel hot enough to bend a crank arm.
A propane torch won't get steel hot enough to braze it.

your best bet is to get a set of the offset cranks, ort make an engine mount that will offset the engine in the frame. But if you off-set the engine, the sprocket and chain alignment will be way off.
does your engine have a pullstarter on it?
if it does, THAT's the problem because the pull starter will not clear standard width cranks.

Last edited:
Oh well, all I can say is my bike has a pull start and a centrifugal clutch and the wide crank option works just fine.

Wide Crank.

You can do all sorts of weird things to your bike that will work, but it's still weird. Motorpsycho and porkchop are right about the wide crank, it's really the only way to go. I've bent a crank out once, but I only needed 1/16" to clear the motor. Bending it into a "S" shape, (almost,) is not the best option. It will also make it look juryrigged and take away from the "look" of the bike.

Do it right the first time and you won't have to do it twice.:unsure:
Big Red.

Back