Mounting motor to older Schwinn?

Discussion in 'Antique Motorized Bicycles' started by Rusty1, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Rusty1

Rusty1 New Member

I purchased a stinger 66cc motor Ive tryed without success trying to mount it to this schwinn frame, is it even possible? Thanks for any info. Ron IMG_20131002_134401.jpg

2. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

Where are you having the problems ?

3. Mr.B.

Mr.B. Member

Yes, but you’ll have to make or buy a extended engine mount.

Here’s a pic of a simple bolt on one I made for a 1955 Spitfire, it’s just made from a old stem, a little pipe, and the u-bolt plate from the engine kit.

If you want to buy one I’m sure others on the forum could give you better advice about where or what, check the 2 stork section.

Good luck!

-Kirk

Attached Files:

• 250 .jpg
      250 .jpg
      File size:
      81.9 KB
      Views:
    • 258 .jpg
      258 .jpg
      File size:
      126.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  4. Mr.B.

Mr.B. Member

Opps, double post...

5. Rusty1

Rusty1 New Member

Thanks, the problem is if I mount to seat tube the motor has to be set so high to clear the crank and the spark plug goes in between the two cross bars then the spark plug cap will not go on and theres a 5 inch gap to the front motor mount to the frame, thanks for the pic of the motor mount you fabricated that appears the route ill have to take, I notice your spark plug fits in an angle hopefully that wont be a problem with mine as the plug is vertical , thanks for all the info, Ron

6. Mr.B.

Mr.B. Member

That was my first and only 2s build, done for a quick turnover. So I honestly don't have much experience with these kits-

But there is a ton of good info here from those who do!

I'm sure someone here will be able to really help you with specific issues.

Just keep asking!

-Kirk

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
  7. Rusty1

Rusty1 New Member

Thanks Kirk, Well I moved the bike to my fathers machine shop with his help we made a new rear motor mount out of aluminum for it, then I went to put muffler on. That didnt go well I'll need to cut muffler add about 3" sleeve to it as pedal crank was hitting it,first we'll make a mount for the front. Does the motor look ok in the frame where it sets now? I'm thinking it might be to high? Thanks again Ron IMG_20131003_124446.jpg IMG_20131003_124438.jpg

8. Rusty1

Rusty1 New Member

Thought I would put a update on project, I got the front motor mount done except for its blocky ill fix that sat. got the muffler in correct space i hope? If anyone can add any info please do, Thanks Ron
    IMG_20131004_102258.jpg IMG_20131004_131008.jpg

9. Rusty1

Rusty1 New Member

Thought I would update the build,sorry if I put it in wrong subforum,anyways bike is pretty much done except i'll tweak some things over time like new wheels,throttle etc.Couple problems with the motor the clutch was stuck prolly from setting for awhile and the c clip was missing on carb had to make one of those and the carb would not seat all the way onto intake causing air leaks due to burrs.So far the motor runs fine.I did put a NGK plug and new plug cap and wire on. Anyways thanks for the help.Ron
    IMG_20131014_142751.jpg IMG_20131014_142842.jpg IMG_20131014_142731.jpg IMG_20131014_142801.jpg

10. lillback44

lillback44 Member

Good job with a difficult problem. I had the same problem with my frame. The same frame only a 24" S-10. When I finally found away to mount it, the muffler was almost touching the ground. I sent it back.

11. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

done nicely. the metal shop helps :)

use a stubby plug, like a cj8 or similar. i always had arcing issues to the frame. mine was tighter. a 20" frame :) especially when wet. plug caps an issue.

its an idea, seeing as you have the man with the skills available...make a head steady bracket. locate on two handy studs and clamp to those twin tubes.

these engines arent terribly smooth running in the first place. being mounted in only two places, they buzz around a lot even when clamped close to the tubes. sticking it up on 5-6 inch long arms is going to make it shake rattle and roll. just a thought. it obviously is riding, so you can tell me to shove it if necessary :) just i reckon it will lock it in there solidly and minimises any chances of a clamp loosening up (20mile from home with no spanner...)

and and and....

the only thing i could think off before seeing the final pics, regards the engine being so high... other than the vibration, that is... the top of the chain can interfere with the seat stay on some frames and if it does... they develop holes really quickly!

once again, it went together, nothings been said. ill shutup :)

make a real exhaust!

PICT0541.JPG

thats the only pic i have now! :'( always back up important photos!

anyways. it tucked in and wrapped around pretty neat. could always put it back together and take a new pic...

12. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

that pic brings back memories! there was grass there! concrete now :)

13. BamaJNJ

BamaJNJ New Member

heres my old schwinn my buddy and I built..... using extra parts that came in the kit and some long studs is how we attached the front mount james bike 2.jpg james bike.jpg

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  14. Imthegrt1

Imthegrt1 Member

Nice frame motor mounts