Much needed help

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by mnbiker, Aug 9, 2008.

1. mnbiker

mnbiker Guest

I have a friend's mom that needs a motor assisted bike. Her knees are going out and uses her bike alot. She came to me asking for some help. So now im asking you. I have a tecumsech snow pup motor, about 3hp. The mounting studs and to the side with the crankshaft. I was wondering if you would have any insight as to how i would use this in a frame mount, its a basic mountain bike, can get pictures if needed. Do you think this will work or should i got with a more size approiate motor?

PS the snow pup motor need a rebuild, so if it is going to be a hassle to use, what motor would be better. Also tips on drive line will work.

2. mnbiker

mnbiker Guest

3. softride

softride Member

needed help

Depending on your abilities and how much $ are available I would recommend getting a mountain bike that is suitable for your friend first there are lots of pix here and recommendations just do a little searching ,with regards to the motor anything can be made to work again search the various builds but my advice is buy a kit if the $ go to that much its all in there and theres plenty of advice here and most kits are adaptable to most bikes in one way or another .
    Hope that helps:smile:
  4. mnbiker

mnbiker Guest

she is looking for under 100 bucks. i think im going to try and use a chainsaw engine, its on my local craigslist for $35 and its old and big. It has a clutch on it already. Is there any chain that will work inplace of the old chain for cutting? or am i better off gettin a real minibike/go kart clutch?
  5. softride

softride Member

help needed

I think you just have to look around on the site and if your using anything other than a bicycle type set up you will have to modify and fabricate as you go its kinda like putting a different engine in a car you gotta see whats needed .sorry i cant be of more help
  6. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

7. mnbiker

mnbiker Guest

thank you for that.
  8. relaxxx

relaxxx Member

You might be able to get all the parts for under $100 but If you value your time at all you might want to reconsider going with a new kit. You can get a new kit off ebay, mine was $170 shipped to the house. Didn't really cost me anything because I had the PayPal money from selling junk. Your going to spend at least 3 or 4 times more time and effort fabricating every little thing to end up with a homemade rig with half the power and old used parts. If you factor in cost of labor it's really going to be much more costly building your own than getting a Kit with everything you need.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  9. mnbiker

mnbiker Guest

could you shoot me a few links? Nothing under 49cc.
  10. graucho

graucho Active Member

11. mnbiker

mnbiker Guest

thank you