Multi Speed Chain Drive

I agree,but it's worth trying out,if the chainwrap is too small the chain may start skipping teeth under load,increasing chain tension helps, but makes shifting more difficult.

By rotating the dérailleur as far forward as the lower dropout strut allows, only results in about 30% chain engagement. I don't believe that would work. If I rotate it about 120 degrees and place it between the upper dropout strut and the forward gear box strut, that will more that double the chain engagement. Lot of ifs though.

Attachments

• Derailleur.jpg
    Derailleur.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 280
Last edited by a moderator:
Would this setup require you to configure and mount a derailleur hanger in a new position,
forward of the cassette? I suppose it wouldn't matter what position the derailleur ended up, bottom pulley up so to speak or upside down from it's standard operating position, but there might be interference from the seatstay or rear brake assembly.

I just tried a spare derailleur in that forward position on a large frame, hardtail mtb and there would be clearance problems with the cantilever brakes it has.

Thinking as of now is to relocate the gear box struts, if necessary and pivot the dérailleur hanger around the rear axial. No doubt this will complicate rear wheel removal because the dérailleur will need to be unbolted. Having said that, rear wheel removal is already pretty tough, a little more won't hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:
That new position should work,there is fair amount of flexibility in mounting the gearbox although it might not look pretty.A word of caution about Staton type freewheels,like those on the gearbox output. The tooth profile is more 'triangular' than 'lost circle' shape of the derailleur type cassett cogs.As a result the chain has a tendency to ride up the sprocket teeth if chain slack permits it,which will be the case with a derailleur setup.

Freewheel adapter and a 3/32" track sprocket on the Staton output will be compatible with the dérailleur. That's what I'm running now and derailing #410 chain for my two speed. Wife thinks I'm out of my mind, doesn't understand about climbing mountains, I guess.

Trick her into to riding up one,sneakily like,if you have something handy&she will quickly come to appreciate that there is method to your madness after all. (just maybe).

Back