My 2nd push trailer is up and running

Discussion in 'Push Trailers' started by s_beaudry, May 15, 2009.

1. s_beaudry

s_beaudry Member

Just got her on the road this morning for a first test drive (my bike is down, that is my daughter's bike)

The powertrain is a Honda GC160 with a 12 tooth clutch ran back with #35 chain to a 60 tooth sprocket.

I went with heavier duty tires this time and see the benefit, she seems to have better traction and maybe even a better ride as well. I tapped the aluminum shaft I bought for the axle with 3/4" x 16 threads. I also drilled a hole in the shaft to hold a cotter pin for extra safety in keeping those wheels on. From the two tires outside edges, it is 20" wide.

Noisewise, compared to the 6.5hp B&S that I had last year, it is just about the same. I thought the Honda would be quieter, but maybe it is, not 100% sure.

Same seat post hitch as last time, this time I used galvanized pipe for a sturdier connection and to not allow any bending. I drilled thru the connectors and set it with a 5/16" bolt to not allow it to loosen or turn at all from the torque of the engine.

With these push trailers, I think the thought of it being a "trailer" gets lost a lot of times. So I added on a 10" x 13" trailer bed with eye hooks for bungee cords to tie cargo down. This makes a world of opportunities for a extra gas tank, a 12 volt battery for lighting, toolbox, and etc.

Well, tell me what you think of her.... all opinions count, good or bad!

Attached Files:

2. stude13

stude13 Active Member

that is a fine looking unit. good workmanship.
  3. macarollo

macarollo Guest

Sweet build!

Do you have a pictures of the connection to the seatpost?

Also how are those wheels connected to the axle? Are they threaded on there OR are the nuts squeezing them so they don't spin free on the axle?

I really like your trailer bed idea.
  4. s_beaudry

s_beaudry Member

The wheels are just riding on the axle with bearings. The left side tire has a sprocket (painted red) on it, so it is one wheel drive.

I was going to cut the frame short, but figured adding thee trailer bed would make room for addons! The GC160 has a one gallon tank, I have a red 2 gallon gas tank that fits very nicely there for EXTRA long trips!

I will take a close up of the seat post hitch for you, all I did was cut out a notch in the galvinized pipe to go around the seatpost and then drilled a 5/16" hole to add a bolt to keep it on the seatpost.
  5. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

Very Nice. I like your Trailers S_Beaudry. They look different than all the others. I think that GC160 engine on it makes it look more compact and modern as well.

Very Nice Job!
  6. Gen3Benz

Gen3Benz Member

That little bed is awesome! Its like a little pickup truck.
    I also like how compact it is....great build.
  7. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

a very nice looking trailer

I was a pipe fitter for a while -- is that 1" gal making the conection ??

have fun -- the THING looks to be fast

8. s_beaudry

s_beaudry Member

The pipe to the seat post is 1 1/4" and it is extremely fast!

The torque these engines put out are insanely addicting!
  9. kitcarguy

kitcarguy Member

how heavy is it?
  10. s_beaudry

s_beaudry Member

Weighwise... I would say it is between 70 to 80 pounds
  11. kitcarguy

kitcarguy Member

Thats not to bad

12. linnix13

linnix13 Banned

how does that pipe not break with the power? also how do push trailer bikes handle? im used to my HT and ripping around corners at top speed and popping up cubs etc,
  13. macarollo

macarollo Guest

Push trailers must be ridden with more care than a HT setup. Popping up curbs could mean certain death on a push trailer!

The pipe is strong enough to handle the power. I think the hardest strain on the push trailer setup is if you take off from a dead stop. If you gave it too much power you will probably spin the rear tire so it woudn't be stressing the pipe too much.

Push trailers ride really smooth on smooth roads. It feels a little uneasy going over bumps since there is no suspension.
  14. linnix13

linnix13 Banned

hahaha nice! they seem cool for there simplicity but what are they like in the eyes of the law? and the loss in manuverability would render it useless in the city but i can see it being better in the country cause it would be so much more reliable than my 2 stroker
  15. macarollo

macarollo Guest

It handles very nicely. You can take turns no problem... the trailer just leans with the bike. You can go over speed bumps, but you should slow down a lot. I have gone fast over a bump in the road (caused by tree root) and you can feel the trailer bounce up and down slightly. After that I was more careful.

They are very reliable and are very feasible for city use.... they are illegal if you have anything over 50cc, but you can easily put some huge engines on a trailer with tons of power... that is the main advantage... and the simplicity of the build.
  16. linnix13

linnix13 Banned

yeah the law is sketchy, i sent an email to the police here in dundas and they said mine was illegal even with it being under 50cc. i have still riden it everywhere and have yet to have problems with the law
  17. s_beaudry

s_beaudry Member

I have never really had a problem with my 2 wheeled pushers I made. Using the seat post as the "trailer hitch" if you would, riding on a sidewalk and taking a 90 degree turn to follow it, looking behind me real fast, that thing just follows along and makes the turn very nicely. I leave a tiny bit of room, maybe 1/8" or so where the tube sits around the seatpost to allow the bike to lean just a little bit in the turn.

Curbs have to be taken easily, as well as speed bumps. All in all, they ride very smoothly and I love the hum of that 4 stroke engine humming away 4 feet behind me!
  18. s_beaudry

s_beaudry Member

By the way, this trailer is for sale if anyone is interested...

Tested and ready to ship to you!